cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCUXpresso Config Tool Bug related to UART0 causes a build error

Jump to solution
jmueckl
Contributor IV

I used the MCUXpresso config tool in a way that caused a build error that I could not restore. I intend to use the semihosting configuration for debugging.  But while I was experimenting, I went to the Components tab of the Peripherals config tool and selected Utility, then double-clicked on ‘DebugConsole’  This produced a box labeled UART0 with a red X, along with a red colored DebugConsole under Utilities.  Hovering on UART0 brings up the Error – Peripherals: "UART0 used in multiple instances."

Realizing that the duplication was undesirable, I deleted the UART0 peripheral.  However, I proceeded to update the code without checking the diffs.  The result of the code changes caused a build error that originated due to additions made to the file utilities\fsl_debug_console_conf.h related to a redefine of  SDK_DEBUGCONSOLE. The error is defined in the code snippet:

#if ((defined(SDK_DEBUGCONSOLE) && (SDK_DEBUGCONSOLE != 1)))                                      #error SDK_DEBUGCONSOLE has already been defined and the value is not 1 as value in the DebugConsole component instance setting.  #endif

The only way I could resolve this issue was to implement my configuration a second time and make sure that I didn't initiate a UART0 peripheral.  However, the real solution to this issue should be an NXP bug fix.

Jerry M

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
jmueckl
Contributor IV

Twice I attempted to duplicate the configuration issue I described, but have not been able to do so.  The configuration tool is working for me now.  I think what happened the first time is that I started with an SDK example which was dated 2018.  After multiple troubleshooting attempts I changed the code that the config tools generated.  Today when I attempted to duplicate this configuration issue, I created a new project which involves the latest software version.  The SDK build error did not appear again.    

Since I no longer see the problem that I described in my support ticket, I have no choice but to close this issue and leave it for someone else to find.

Most likely the error I saw, "UART0 used in multiple instances", can be found in the MCUXpresso source code.  

The processor on my FRDM-K64F board is the MK64FN1M0VLL12.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jmueckl
Contributor IV

Twice I attempted to duplicate the configuration issue I described, but have not been able to do so.  The configuration tool is working for me now.  I think what happened the first time is that I started with an SDK example which was dated 2018.  After multiple troubleshooting attempts I changed the code that the config tools generated.  Today when I attempted to duplicate this configuration issue, I created a new project which involves the latest software version.  The SDK build error did not appear again.    

Since I no longer see the problem that I described in my support ticket, I have no choice but to close this issue and leave it for someone else to find.

Most likely the error I saw, "UART0 used in multiple instances", can be found in the MCUXpresso source code.  

The processor on my FRDM-K64F board is the MK64FN1M0VLL12.
0 Kudos
ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi jmueckl

What's your chip part number?

Please send screenshots of reproducing "UART0 used in multiple instances."?

Thanks,

Jun Zhang

0 Kudos