Config Tools: Disable (or limit) Downloading Components?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Config Tools: Disable (or limit) Downloading Components?

dougpaulsen
Contributor IV

Is there any hope that the component downloading every time one opens the config tools can be disabled, or at least limited?

On MCUXpresso 11.3, every time I pop into the Config Tools to tweak something or generally fidget, program execution pauses while components are re-downloaded.  A nice idea, if one has a blazing corporate level internet, but on a modest home internet it's downright annoying.  Besides I doubt very much if anything has substantially changed since a few minutes ago when I last checked.

How about the components are re-downloaded upon cranking up MCUXpresso?  Or perhaps on demand?

These superfluous downloads seems just an unnecessary annoyance

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
3 Replies

dougpaulsen
Contributor IV

Here's a sample screenshot

0 Kudos

liborukropec
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

in this case, could you, as I mentioned below:

1. Please check <workspace>/.metadata/.log if there are exceptions that might relate to config tools download/update, or directly attach here.
  2. It might be an file permission error that the components cannot be written to disk. To check that, you can delete/rename c:\ProgramData\NXP\mcu_data_v9 folder (not when IDE is running). This folder is recreated automatically and necessary data is downloaded automatically.

and report here the observation/result?

thank you,

Libor

0 Kudos

liborukropec
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

could you please post screenshot where you can see the Config Tools are downloading the components (every time)?

What the Config Tools should do is to create check whether there's a new processor/board or component data on server. If nothing updated, nothing should be downloaded.

1. Please check <workspace>/.metadata/.log if there are exceptions that might relate to config tools download/update, or directly attach here.
  2. It might be an file permission error that the components cannot be written to disk. To check that, you can delete/rename c:\ProgramData\NXP\mcu_data_v9 folder (not when IDE is running). This folder is recreated automatically and necessary data is downloaded automatically.

As a workaround you can disable automatic download of new data in "Window | Preferences". Either completely work offline, or disable updates for already downloaded data:

liborukropec_0-1630482827716.png

Regards,

Libor

0 Kudos