cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sd card layout for LS1046a?

Jump to solution
cswarth
Contributor III

Is there any detailed documentation on how to put together RCW, u-boot image, linux kernel, and root filesystem on a single sd card?  

I am working with the LS1046ardb using NXP SDK 2.0.  So far I have built fsl-image-minimal and then written the image tmp/deploy/images/ls1046ardb/u-boot-sdcard.bin to sd card with, 

sudo dd if=u-boot-sdcard.bin of=/dev/disk2 bs=512 seek=8

This works fine, but I'm wondering why it needs to be written 4K bytes into the sd card.  And what other offsets are appropriate for the other components  like RCW, linux kernel, and rootfs?

This topic is almost addressed in 3.3.1.8 Programming a New U-Boot, RCW and FMan Ucode on page 38 of 

QorIQ LS1046A BSP v0.4, but that section only addresses writing u-boot to sd card - nothing else.  It tells me I need to start the u-boot image 8*512 bytes into the card, but doesn't say anything about what can come before or after.

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
1 Solution
cswarth
Contributor III

I want to follow-up on my own question since it looks like some people occasionally stumble across this.

The layout the sdcard for the LS1046A is as follows:

Micro SD Card memory Map on LS1046A
----------------------------------------------------
Block           #blocks*        Definition      Size
0x008           2048            u-boot img      1MB
0x800           0016            u-boot env      8KB
0x820           0128            FMAN ucode      64KB
*Each block is 512 bytes
As mentioned in the other reply, the u-boot img contains the reset config word (RCW), some prebvoot loader (PBL) commands, the secondary program loader (SPL), and the u-boot image itself.  These are all conveniently packaged for you when targeting the ls1046ardb board.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
cswarth
Contributor III

I want to follow-up on my own question since it looks like some people occasionally stumble across this.

The layout the sdcard for the LS1046A is as follows:

Micro SD Card memory Map on LS1046A
----------------------------------------------------
Block           #blocks*        Definition      Size
0x008           2048            u-boot img      1MB
0x800           0016            u-boot env      8KB
0x820           0128            FMAN ucode      64KB
*Each block is 512 bytes
As mentioned in the other reply, the u-boot img contains the reset config word (RCW), some prebvoot loader (PBL) commands, the secondary program loader (SPL), and the u-boot image itself.  These are all conveniently packaged for you when targeting the ls1046ardb board.
Pavel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The u-boot-sdcard.bin file contains RCW, PBL and u-boot code. See part of hex dump in the attachment.

The LS1046a boot ROM provides loading from block 8 of the SD card.

Have a great day,
Pavel Chubakov

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------