how to create ext2.tar.gz.u-boot for fsl-image-full image?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to create ext2.tar.gz.u-boot for fsl-image-full image?

Jump to solution
evgenyr
Contributor II

My board is LS1021A-TWR .

I have compiled fsl-image-full, but unlike fsl-image-core and fsl-image-minimal the ext2.tar.gz.u-boot image was not created.

I would like to use ramdisk filesystem and I would appreciate if you could help with :

1. How to create ext2.tar.gz.u-boot image?

2. What is a bootargs should be?

3. Where the relevant build log file that I can find the the size of uncompressed root filesystem?

Thanks  

Labels (1)
1 Solution
yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Evgeny Raskin,

1. You could modify the value of IMAGE_FSTYPES in the recipe meta-fsl-networking/images/fsl-image-full.bb, and rebuild the filesystem with command "bitbake fsl-image-full".

Please refer to the following, please add a space between different image types.

IMAGE_FSTYPES = "tar.gz ext2.gz.u-boot"

2. The ramdisk filesystem bootargs is like this "‘root=/dev/ram rw ramdisk_size=20000000 console=ttyS0,115200".

Please note, it's not recommanded to boot fsl-image-full filesystem with Ramdisk method, because fsl-image-full  is too large to be set up successfully, you could boot fsl-image-full from SD card or mount filesystem from NFS. This is why the default image type is "tar.gz".

3. If you add "tar.gz" in the variable IMAGE_FSTYPES, you will generate a file filesystem such as fsl-image-full-ls1021atwr-<time>.rootfs.tar.gz, please copy it in a folder and extract it, then you could get the size of this folder.

Thanks,

Yiping

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Evgeny Raskin,

1. You could modify the value of IMAGE_FSTYPES in the recipe meta-fsl-networking/images/fsl-image-full.bb, and rebuild the filesystem with command "bitbake fsl-image-full".

Please refer to the following, please add a space between different image types.

IMAGE_FSTYPES = "tar.gz ext2.gz.u-boot"

2. The ramdisk filesystem bootargs is like this "‘root=/dev/ram rw ramdisk_size=20000000 console=ttyS0,115200".

Please note, it's not recommanded to boot fsl-image-full filesystem with Ramdisk method, because fsl-image-full  is too large to be set up successfully, you could boot fsl-image-full from SD card or mount filesystem from NFS. This is why the default image type is "tar.gz".

3. If you add "tar.gz" in the variable IMAGE_FSTYPES, you will generate a file filesystem such as fsl-image-full-ls1021atwr-<time>.rootfs.tar.gz, please copy it in a folder and extract it, then you could get the size of this folder.

Thanks,

Yiping

0 Kudos
evgenyr
Contributor II

Thanks, Yiping

Somewhere, I saw that ramdisk_size should be based on parameter which is taken from build log, but I can't locate it  ...

Can you please guide me ?

Thanks

0 Kudos