configuration of the SuperSpeed USB Controller in the LS1021A -- 4 bidirectional USB endpoints (or 8 unidirectional endpoints)

取消
显示结果 
显示  仅  | 搜索替代 
您的意思是: 
已解决

configuration of the SuperSpeed USB Controller in the LS1021A -- 4 bidirectional USB endpoints (or 8 unidirectional endpoints)

跳至解决方案
2,033 次查看
RsBogdan
Contributor I

I am confused about the configuration of the SuperSpeed USB Controller in the LS1021A.

In the TRM I have (Rev E - 1/2015), on page 2732, it says:

The USB 3.0 module includes the following features:

…

• Supports eight programmable, bidirectional USB endpoints

…

With Linux booted on the Tower board I have, the USB driver has the following register Dump for GHWPARAMS3, which is documented on pg. 2782-2783:

GHWPARAMS3 = 0x04108485

DWC_USB3_CACHE_TOTAL_XFER_RESOURCES = 0x08

DWC_USB3_NUM_IN_EPS                                 = 0x04

DWC_USB3_NUM_EPS                            = 0x08

DWC_USB3_ULPI_CARKIT                                  = 0

DWC_USB3_VENDOR_CTL_INTERFACE                      = 1

DWC_USB3_HSPHY_DWIDTH                           = 2

DWC_USB3_FSPHY_INTERFACE                       = 0

DWC_USB3_HSPHY_INTERFACE                       = 1

DWC_USB3_SSPHY_INTERFACE                       = 1

This tends to indicate that the part has 4 bidirectional USB endpoints (or 8 unidirectional endpoints).

Can you clarify this with Freescale? While 4 bidirectional EPs is OK at SuperSpeed with a dedicated (non-class) protocol, it is not enough for the USB-2 (High speed) Class protocol fallback case.

If indeed the device only support 4 bidirectional EPs, an alternative solution for me could be to split the controller for USB3SS and USB2HS - in particular, I already have the USB2HS implementation done on the Zynq. I am not 100% sure that the LS1021 will be happy with that, though. The proposal here is that the SS signals get run to the LS1021A and that the USB2 signals (DP/DN) get run to the Zynq. What I think will happen if this is what we do, is that if the device is plugged into a SS host, the LS1021A will train the link, and the host will connect SS, and the DP/DN lines will never be activated. OTOH, if the host is not SS, then the LS1021A will not train the link, and the host will connect via USB2 to the Zynq (which has enough EPs for our application).

Can you also ask Freescale about that type of split functionality (in particular - see if they think that is doable, or if it will screw something up for SS operation).

标签 (1)
标记 (1)
0 项奖励
1 解答
1,677 次查看
CommunityBot
Community Manager
This an automatic process.

We are marking this post as solved, due to the either low activity or any reply marked as correct.

If you have additional questions, please create a new post and reference to this closed post.

NXP Community!

在原帖中查看解决方案

0 项奖励
5 回复数
1,678 次查看
CommunityBot
Community Manager
This an automatic process.

We are marking this post as solved, due to the either low activity or any reply marked as correct.

If you have additional questions, please create a new post and reference to this closed post.

NXP Community!
0 项奖励
1,679 次查看
Pavel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The LS1021A Reference Manual contains the following:

The LS10211 USB 3.0 module supports eight programmable, bidirectional USB endpoints.
This possibility does not contradict to USB 3.0 Specification.
See the Section 8.8:
Devices may support up to a maximum of 15 IN and 15 OUT endpoints.

Have a great day,
Pavel

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 项奖励
1,679 次查看
RsBogdan
Contributor I

Sorry - It that does not answer the question.

I am not saying that the part is out of the USB spec.

What I am saying is that the documentation that is quotes (and that we originally sent in the question) appears to be contradicted by the actual hardware.

My question is:

Does the LS1021 support

8 IN EP

8 OUT EP

simultaneously, or just

4 IN EP

4 OUT EP

simultaneously?

The documentation seems to say 8/8 and the hardware seems to say 4/4.

Which is correct?

0 项奖励
1,679 次查看
Pavel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The LS1021 USB 3.0 in device mode supports 4 bidirectional EPs. Documentation will be updated.

0 项奖励
1,679 次查看
Pavel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I am looking the LS1021A documentation about USB 3.0 endpoints. Please wait.

Have a great day,
Pavel

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 项奖励