Why is tiny_itb coped to the boot partition?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is tiny_itb coped to the boot partition?

Jump to solution
kkrambo
Contributor III

I'm building a custom board based upon the LS1012A-FRWY and I'm studying how flex-builder (LSDK v20.12) creates the SD card to boot Ubuntu userland.

Why is is tiny_itb copied to the boot partition?  I'm looking at the flex-builder generate_bootpartition_tarball() function.  It copies the kernel, dtb, kernel modules, and distro boot script to the boot partition.  But it also copies tiny_itb, which does not make sense to me.  My understanding is that tiny_itb is the smallish Yocto TinyDistro.  But the intention of the SD card is to contain and boot a largish Ubuntu distribution.  Is it necessary for tiny_itb to be on the boot partition?  When and how would this tiny_itb be used?  The boot script is going to load Ubuntu and not tiny_itb.

I understand how tiny_itb can be used to initially format and program the SD card.  (Before the Ubuntu distro is on the SD card, you can use U-Boot to load TinyDistro over Ethernet and into RAM, and then run TinyDistro to format and program Ubuntu userland onto the SD card.)  What I don't understand is why is tiny_itb is included on the boot partition of the SD card along with the Ubuntu distribution.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I discussed this issue with flex-builder developer.

It's not necessary for tiny_itb to be on the boot partition.

Just for be convenient to download from disk.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I discussed this issue with flex-builder developer.

It's not necessary for tiny_itb to be on the boot partition.

Just for be convenient to download from disk.

0 Kudos