Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LS1012ARDB-PC K22 CMSIS DAP USB bootloader bricked

Jump to solution
christophe_schm
Contributor IV

Good morning all,

I specifically write to ufedor on NXP Kinetis support engineer suggestion.

I opened a ticket already: "Case:00242755:We bought a LS1012ARDB board and I bricked to OpenSDA firmware/bootloader on the K22 M"

Situation: we bought 2 brand new LS1012ARDB-PC boards and connected them to WIN10 hosts (ver 1909 so recent).

Problem: both RDBs got their K22 based CMSIS DAP bootloader bricked after having worked for a few days like a charm with CodeWarrior IDE.

I now try since ~1 week to reflash a new bootloader into the K22 of this QorIQ platform.

Of course I first and naturally started with the Kinetis folks who provide binaries here

OpenSDA Serial and Debug Adapter | NXP 

But this showed being the wrong path - QorIQ team also has it's own bootloaders and OpenSDA firmware running on also the K2x Kinetis familly. It's true: Kinetis MCUs and related bootloader are close and very similar - but that does not work this way as we all know, I was aware about this but was looking for some clear answer.

I also managed to get full DAPLink sources to rebuild my bootloader from scratch and flashing it using our MDK Pro IDE latest version + UlinkPro probes: DAPLink/DEVELOPERS-GUIDE.md at master · ARMmbed/DAPLink · GitHub 

Both approaches described above give same result: either K22 does not boot correctly or boots but USB device is not recognized by my WIN10 host. Remind: my goal is to first get BOOTLOADER MSC back so I can then simply drop into it the new DAPLink application binary - so far my bootloader remains silent. I am now convinced I use both wrong binaries and / or sources - I must get those not from Kinetis folks but from QorIQ folks here, agree.

So I was given from Kinetis support those links:

https://community.nxp.com/thread/483925?commentID=1054604#comment-1054604 

https://community.nxp.com/message/974928

Of course I read those posts and also directly tried the k22fx512_if_mbed.bin.zip that was provided by ufedor.

This comes as a BIN I first had to transform into a HEX so my MDK Pro + UlinkPro setup is able to flash it into the K22 target using latest srec_cat tool:

srec_cat.exe k22fx512_if_mbed.bin -binary -o k22fx512_if_mbed.hex -intel

My KEIL uVision project has correct packages and all is configured well, flash process terminates without error (checked the logs too). Confirm my K22 MCU is exactly this one: MK22FX512AVLH12

pastedImage_30.png

So here I am, what do I wrong? Is there a more recent binary I could get from QorIQ team that will not brick when connecting to WIN10 host? Our company only uses WIN10, I cannot change that. May sources so I rebuild the bootloader and OpenSDA or DAPLink on top as well? I saw on this link DAPLink/DEVELOPERS-GUIDE.md at master · ARMmbed/DAPLink · GitHub  that the projects.yaml file does not cover the very MCU used here but only k20dx_frdmk22f_if.

Thanks for helping. If we succeed in this I can give a go here to use this platform for an upcoming project. If not I may look for other alternatives, we cannot use bricked boards for development of course. Just saying that so you understand my reality and decision making I've to perform based on support feedback and help I get.

Thanks much & regards,

Christophe

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
christophe_schm
Contributor IV

I consider this question as resolved. To summarize: ufedor provided my also the K22 bootloader BIN I successfully was able to flash onto K22 using KEIL MDK Pro + ULINK Pro JTAG probe. Fact I've to transform BIN into HEX does not brake it. Once you flashed the bootloader  of the K22, then indeed you can drop OpenSDA firmware on top simply into your host BOOTLOADER MSC that shall appear after first step (being reflashing K22 bootloader).

Maybe ufedor is OK to share the K22 bootloader BIN as well here? So far we only got the application binary.

File names are

• K22 bootloader: k22fx512_bootloader.bin, 19,228 bytes, MD5 D028DC1D486135FB71917B9DF5718BEA
  • K22 application firmware (OpenSDA): k22fx512_if_mbed.bin, 33,940 bytes, MD5 0000AD65E0D00F5E4D94BEBDE010B64D

Thx Christophe

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
christophe_schm
Contributor IV

I consider this question as resolved. To summarize: ufedor provided my also the K22 bootloader BIN I successfully was able to flash onto K22 using KEIL MDK Pro + ULINK Pro JTAG probe. Fact I've to transform BIN into HEX does not brake it. Once you flashed the bootloader  of the K22, then indeed you can drop OpenSDA firmware on top simply into your host BOOTLOADER MSC that shall appear after first step (being reflashing K22 bootloader).

Maybe ufedor is OK to share the K22 bootloader BIN as well here? So far we only got the application binary.

File names are

• K22 bootloader: k22fx512_bootloader.bin, 19,228 bytes, MD5 D028DC1D486135FB71917B9DF5718BEA
  • K22 application firmware (OpenSDA): k22fx512_if_mbed.bin, 33,940 bytes, MD5 0000AD65E0D00F5E4D94BEBDE010B64D

Thx Christophe

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi ufedor,

Thanks so much for following Christophe SCHMID 's question, he has created the case and which is assigned to the kinetis box in the previous time, but I am just the NXP kinetis engieer, and not familiar with the QorIQ board, because the LS1012ARDB onboard K22 opensda is still related to the LS1012, then I don't have the related firmware and never test that board.

So, please help our customer to get out of it, it seems he still can't make the LS1012ARDB on-board k22 opensda work, please help him to check, whether it is the opensda firmware problems or the tool and operation step problems, thank you for your help!

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos
ufedor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Please refer to the attached user guide and firmware.

0 Kudos
christophe_schm
Contributor IV

Hello ufedor,

Thanks for the files. My point here is I even don't pass §3 means: I don't have any MSD volume labeled "BOOTLOADER" showing up. Therefore I am blocked, I need first to bring back BOOTLOADER, after that will (hopefully) work I can then indeed drop the BIN above into this volume. Agree? And: can you help me unbrinck the bootloader itself?

Thx Christophe

0 Kudos
ufedor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Please confirm that the following was performed:

This is the workaround we have confirmed to fix the mbed issue on Win10 PC's:
- Go to the "Start" option on the PC and type the command "Services"
- Than you should see the following "Services" window open
- Select the "Storage Services" and on the left-hand side of the window click the "Stop the service"

Please confirm that the following steps:

1) Switch on power to LS board.

2) Press and hold Reset button

3) Plug the PC USB cable into the CSAM USB connector on the board.

What is the D22 LED (MBED) state after 3)?

christophe_schm
Contributor IV

Hi,

I did the "Storage Services" stop already and it worked in the past. So I don't think this is the problem now. I also retried to renable, disable it again, nothing changes, still the same: debug probe is dead.

Doing your three steps: LED D22 is and remains OFF, nothing happens even not a single blink, also after releasing the reset button once connected the USB cable into the CSAM USB.

I flashed the BIN you provided me already: k22fx512_if_mbed.hex (had to transform it BIN-->HEX first using srec_cat.exe).

0 Kudos
ufedor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I flashed the BIN you provided me already: 

> k22fx512_if_mbed.hex (had to transform it BIN-->HEX first using srec_cat.exe).

Please read section 4 in the provided document to understand that the image should be copied into 'BOOTLOADER' and not transformed to HEX and programmed.

christophe_schm
Contributor IV

There is a missunderstanding here:

• k22fx512_if_mbed.bin your provided to me is then NOT the bootloader but the application code/firmware, my bad
  • I cannot flash *.bin files with MDK Pro + UlinkPro JTAG probe (mainly only HEX and ELF and some other formats work)
  • I don't have any BOOTLOADER showing up anymore on my WIN10 host machine because bootloader must be broken

Conclusion: I need another binary, sources that brings me first back my BOOTLOADER, then I can can indeed drop k22fx512_if_mbed.bin into BOOTLOADER, understood that.

Do we agree on that? Thx Christophe

0 Kudos
christophe_schm
Contributor IV

Quick question: is the bootloader code supposed to be ROMed on the K22 and not erasable? Or can we even update it? It's possible I also erased the ROM (had a pop-up in the past in MDK Pro asking me if I want to unlock the ROM).

One thing is sure: my K22 MCU is empty here, zero code, zero move, kapputt...

0 Kudos
ufedor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I'm trying to figure out how the board can be recovered.

Nobody erased the K22 bootloader before - so there is no fast solution.

0 Kudos
christophe_schm
Contributor IV

Ok great, now we've a common understanding :smileyhappy:

Hope you can find a way to recover the K22 BL, since with the KEIL + UlinkPro method it's very easy to erase it all.

I may did this whereas I was not supposed to. Was also start thinking about how to unlock the K22 and reprog it. Now you're the expert here for this then I first wait on your answer, thanks much to help me, really.

0 Kudos