cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KickStart bare-metal Qorlq programming

gokhangunay
Contributor III

Hi all,

I have recently bought a new-brand frmd ls1012A board to learn how to develop some bare-metal applications.

Since I do not have any experience with those ARMv8 processors i do not know how to start to develop programs.

My questions are (perhaps some of them are ridiculously irrelevant :smileyhappy: ):

1- It seems (I may be wrong) that the cmsis-dap binary is not installed on the debugger on the board, so whenever i plug the board in, just a flash drive pops up (most probably demanding the binary). Where could I find cmsis-dap debugger binary for the board?

2- I searched for source codes for the LS1012A cpu and its peripherals but could not find something under the downloads section. There are plenty of images and precompiled libraries, but I am looking for raw source codes. So are these source codes available anywhere?

3- Is there any IDE-kit alternative to codewarior IDE.

Thanks for the help in advance,

Best

gokhan

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello gokhan,

1. Please download FRDM-LS1012A Reference Manual from QorIQ® FRDM-LS1012A board|NXP, please refer to "CMSIS-DAP" section for detailed description about debug interfaces and serial-to-USB converters.

Here I introduce more about how to use CMSIS-DAP as the debug connection type.

Please install mbed driver on you PC download from Windows serial configuration - Handbook | mbed.

Plugin USB cable connecting FRDM-LS1012A to your PC, please complete the driver updating, you will get the serial port number which CMSIS-DAP is using.

I assume you installed CodeWarrior for ARMv8.

Please refer to the section "3.2 Working with bareboard application" in C:\Freescale\CW4NET_v2016.01\CW_ARMv8\ARMv8\Help\Getting_Started_for_CW_ARMv8.pdf to create a bareboard project, in Target Configuration panel, please specify the Target Connection Configuration as "CMSIS DAP" and the USB serial number. Then connect CodeWarrior to the target board.

2. As I mentioned in the step 1, you could create a bare board sample project, then you could start with the source code under src folder in the sample project.

3. We recommend CodeWarrior for ARMv8 which is released by NXP.

Have a great day,
TIC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

gokhangunay
Contributor III

Dear Yipping Wang,

Thanks for your help.

1- My problem with the board is that I cannot run the cmsis-dap firmwares on the board.

I upload the firmwares to the bootloader but whenever I unplug and plug it in again (as described in the manual), it does not work; the red led (for reset) shines and switch off. But the green led never switch on and new devices are not detected. I followed the steps at :OpenSDA Serial and Debug Adapter|NXP , but returned back fruitless.

Besides , I installed the cmsis-dap serial driver again there is no change.

In the manual you referred, there is no explanation how to get it working.

So now I started to think that my board has a hardware defect.

2- I will install code warrior to learn the IDE, etc.

Waiting for your helps,

thanks in advance,

gokhan

0 Kudos

yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello gokhan,

If SDA(K20) is active, SDA_LED(D1) green led should be light.

Please check whether serial to USB can work, please connect USB to your PC and open serial console with baud-rate 115200. When demo boards released to customers, there is available software on QSPI flash, can you the see console log when you started to use this board?

In addition, you mentioned "I upload the firmwares to the bootloader", would you please describe more how you uploaded the firmware?

Thanks,

Yiping

0 Kudos

gokhangunay
Contributor III

Hi Yiping,

Do you know where could I find cmsis-dap firmware for the FRDM-LS1012A board?

I have tried firmwares of lots of frdm boards but none one worked properly.

Thanks for your helps in advance.

best,

gokhan

0 Kudos

yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello gokhan gunay,

Please try the file k20.zip which I attached in this thread https://community.nxp.com/message/840141?commentID=840141#comment-840141

As normal, the firmware should be programmed to demo board before released to the customer.

Thanks,

Yiping

gokhangunay
Contributor III

Hi Yipping,

Thanks. I was looking for this. Now it seems to work; at least the mbed hid and serial port is working so I assume that the debugger also works glitch-less.

Cheers and thanks for your helps,

gokhan

0 Kudos

gokhangunay
Contributor III

Hi Yipping,

Thanks for the reply.

The problem with the board is that the green light is not on. The open-sda is not working properly.

Whenever I connect it to computer it starts with bootloader mode asking for any debugger binary.

Whenever, I paste the binary it behaves normally and waits for reconnection (disconnection and connection back).

After, reconnecting the board to computer, there is nothing (no serial port, no debugger); it is not detected by the computer anymore (no green led).

So I tried almost all combinations of binaries (cmsis-dap, j-link) but there is no difference.

I installed the drivers even if it is not detected, the outcome is again zero.

Looking for your reply soon,

thanks,

gokhan

0 Kudos