Information about the Pre-Boot Loader (PBL)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Information about the Pre-Boot Loader (PBL)

Jump to solution
notshure
Contributor IV

Hi everyone,
i'm working with processor ls1043a, and i want to make a customized bootloader for this machine, like U-Boot. I'm searching in the datasheet of the machine, for understand all phase that bring the machine from the reset to launch the application software. In doing this i find Pre-Boot Loader (PBL).
What is it?
I know that perform that tasks:

The pre-boot loader (PBL) starts loading the RCW data from the interface specified by the cfg_rcw_src[0:n] and stores that 64 bytes of data to the RCWSR registers within the device configuration block. The RCW defines the the pre-boot initialization source (PBI) sourse.
The PBL performs pre-boot initialization by reading data from either the eSDHC, QuadSPI, or IFC interface and writing to CCSR space or local memory space (OCRAM1 or OCRAM2, DDR). The PBI result defines what boot code will be executed by the core.

The Pre-Boot Loader is special code insade the chip of the processor ? or is a Hardware state machine that come active on reset and perform al this operation ?
I need this information or more in-depth information about PBL and boot sequence.

Is this phase present in all ARM architectures?
Or is it something present only in NXP machines?

From QorIQ LS1043A Reference Manual, Rev. 6, 07/2020:

10. If the IFC's NAND Flash interface is configured as the RCW source, the reset block
      instructs the IFC to load a boot block from Flash into the internal buffer RAM of the
      IFC. Once complete, the reset block proceeds to instruct the Pre-Boot Loader to
      begin reading in RCW data. Note that if the IFC NAND Flash interface reports an

Is all this hardware or is there some code behind it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ufedor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The PBL is a hardware module executing commands as described in the QorIQ LS1043A Reference Manual, Chapter 29 Pre-Boot Loader (PBL).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ufedor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

> I need this information or more in-depth information about PBL and boot sequence.

Please read QorIQ LS1043A Reference Manual, Chapter 29 Pre-Boot Loader (PBL)

0 Kudos
notshure
Contributor IV

The whole procedure carried out by the PBL is software or is carried out by means of a hardware state machine ?

0 Kudos
ufedor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The PBL is a hardware module executing commands as described in the QorIQ LS1043A Reference Manual, Chapter 29 Pre-Boot Loader (PBL).

0 Kudos