cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FRWY-LS1012A no access to U-boot after firmware programming

OzTheWizard
Contributor III

Hi there,

I was traying to run secure boot on FRWY-LS1012A by following steps on Program secure boot images:

1. Flash secure firmware:
    1. =>tftp 0xa0000000 firmware_lx2162aqds_uboot_xspiboot_secure.img
    2. =>i2c mw 66 50 20;sf probe 0:0;
    3. =>sf erase 0x00 +$filesize
    4. =>sf write 0xa0000000 0x00 $filesize
  2. Switch to alternate bank:
    => qixis_reset altbank

In step 2 I didn't use altbank, instead just reset cmd.

Problem now is that U-boot seems unreachable. Host PC detects device as BOOTLOADER, not mbed device. LED D1 is constantly blinking.

I was wondering is there a way to recover the board? I would prefer using CMSIS-DAP if possible.

UPDATE:

I'm experiencing 2 problems:

1) Not able to detect mbed device on Win10. Device is represented as mass storage device under name BOOTLOADER. Related to K20xx chip and CMSIS-DAP fw. Solution: link.
2) Now that I'm able to detect mbed device still not receiving anything from U-boot. Related to RCW/U-boot fw on main processor. Found partial solution here . Edited cwflash.py to match my board (attached), connected to board and run first command which returns error:

(qspi) fl_unprotect 0x0 0x4000000                                                                                     
Unprotecting...                                                                                                         
Flash programming operation failed.                                                                                     
//                                                                                                                     
Additional error details:                                                                                               
[FP: size exceeds device's capacity]

I'm not sure if I should go with next command before passing the 1st one because if it fails there is no recovery unless using dedicated debugger (link).
Message I got within CodeWarrior Flash:

CodeWarrior detected an attempt to modify the Reset Configuration Word (RCW) while using the CMSIS-DAP probe; it is recommended to verify operation parameters and RCW correctness before continuing. Failure to program a compatible RCW may result in board being unable to boot. Recovery is not possible using CSMSIS-DAP and will require use of the external CodeWarrior TAP unit. For details please refer to "ARM v8 Targeting Manual / Use Cases / Board Recovery

Any suggestions how to proceed? 

0 Kudos
6 Replies

ufedor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You wrote:

> tftp 0xa0000000 firmware_lx2162aqds_uboot_xspiboot_secure.img

Did you really do this?

Please provide textual log of the operations which really were performed.

For the MBED-related issue please refer to the Layerscape LS1012A Freeway (FRWY-LS1012A) Board Getting Started Guide, 5 Troubleshooting and the following Community question:

https://community.nxp.com/t5/QorIQ/LS1012a-RDB-only-appears-as-bootloader/m-p/685840

0 Kudos

OzTheWizard
Contributor III

@ufedor thank you for your reply.

As you can see I solved the problem with board identifying itself as mass storage device - BOOTLOADER. Now it is listed as COM ports. The Community Question you linked sort of explains this problem.

However, there is another problem - not getting any response from board. U-boot not present and that happened after flashing secure boot firmware. 

You wrote:

> tftp 0xa0000000 firmware_lx2162aqds_uboot_xspiboot_secure.img

Did you really do this?

I did not wrote that and of course didn't do that, I was just following the procedure from link shared.
Instead I downloaded fw dedicated for my board using:

wget https://www.nxp.com/lgfiles/sdk/lsdk2012/firmware_ls1012afrwy_uboot_qspiboot.img

added file to C:\Freescale\CW4NET_v2020.06\CW_ARMv8\ARMv8\gdb\bin, run CodeWarrior's aarch64-fsl-gdb.exe, connected to board and entered:

(qspi) fl_unprotect 0x0 0x4000000
(qspi) fl_write 0x0 firmware_ls1012afrwy_uboot_qspiboot --erase

and then I got warning message:

CodeWarrior detected an attempt to modify the Reset Configuration Word (RCW) while using the CMSIS-DAP probe; it is recommended to verify operation parameters and RCW correctness before continuing. Failure to program a compatible RCW may result in board being unable to boot. Recovery is not possible using CSMSIS-DAP and will require use of the external CodeWarrior TAP unit. For details please refer to "ARM v8 Targeting Manual / Use Cases / Board Recovery

I'm not sure if I should proceed. I have only CMSIS-DAP access and want to make sure before taking next steps.

UPDATE:
Found CodeWarrior Development Studio for QorIQ LS series - ARM V8 ISA, Targeting Manual ch. 8.6. Board Recovery. Currently I'm in CodeWarrior Flash Programmer - have been able to establish connection with board using cmsisdap. 
Can you provide me with RCW and U-boot binaries for LS1012A-FRWY? Are these actually bl2_<boot mode>.pbl and fip.bin (naming is confusing me)?

0 Kudos

ufedor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

> Can you provide me with RCW and U-boot binaries for LS1012A-FRWY?

Please download composite firmware image from:

https://lsdk.github.io/components.html

section LSDK IMAGES

OzTheWizard
Contributor III

After flashing composite firmware I'm getting some response from device on COM port:

NOTICE:  DDR Init Done
NOTICE:  BL2: v1.5(release):LSDK-20.12
NOTICE:  BL2: Built : 04:33:20, Dec 11 2020
NOTICE:  BL31: v1.5(release):LSDK-20.12
NOTICE:  BL31: Built : 04:33:20, Dec 11 2020
NOTICE:  Welcome to LS1012 BL31 Phase

Which is not bootloader. Did I miss something? And please don't tell me that my board is bricked.

0 Kudos

ufedor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Provided log excerpt is generally correct for TF-A booting.

Please provide:

1) the composite firmware programming log

2) complete booting log

0 Kudos

OzTheWizard
Contributor III

As mentioned before there was no response from board before all flashing procedure.

During flashing, the writing procedure lasted forever. Therefore I decided to quit it after more then 10 minutes. Screen shot 1st_flashing attached. When I tried to do it 2nd time I got error (2nd_flashing).

Booting log attached.

0 Kudos