Does REAL-TIME-EDGE v2.2 support DOCKER?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does REAL-TIME-EDGE v2.2 support DOCKER?

Jump to solution
xinliwang
Contributor III

Hi @yipingwang 

I wonder if NXP REAL-TIME-EDGE  support DOCKER or not?

My board is ls1028ardb which use REAL-TIME-EDGE v2.2 and I tried to install docker onto the board but it seems doesn't support rt version. So, I want to double check from you guys if RT support docker or not.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
kenli
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

hi xinliwang,

The docker level is not feature of real time edge bsp. You can still ask for help in the yocto community though.
The following are some modifications I made to compile in the 2.5 environment. You can refer which may helps.
I'm not a yocto expert, and I don't have a layerscape board handy, anyway, you can give it a try.
add the follow lines in your conf/local.conf file. and bitbake you prj again.then deploy and test again.

LICENSE_FLAGS_ACCEPTED += "commercial"
DISTRO_FEATURES:append = "virtualization"
IMAGE_INSTALL:append += "docker connman connman-client"
CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += "openssh"

Best regards

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kenli
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

hi xinliwang,

The docker level is not feature of real time edge bsp. You can still ask for help in the yocto community though.
The following are some modifications I made to compile in the 2.5 environment. You can refer which may helps.
I'm not a yocto expert, and I don't have a layerscape board handy, anyway, you can give it a try.
add the follow lines in your conf/local.conf file. and bitbake you prj again.then deploy and test again.

LICENSE_FLAGS_ACCEPTED += "commercial"
DISTRO_FEATURES:append = "virtualization"
IMAGE_INSTALL:append += "docker connman connman-client"
CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += "openssh"

Best regards
0 Kudos
xinliwang
Contributor III

Thank man, I will give a try.

0 Kudos
kenli
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

What application model needs to run docker on 2 core a72?

Docker does not depend on the hardware platform.

If you are based on the ubuntu file system, you can refer to the official docker guide and try: https://www.docker.com/blog/getting-started-with-docker-for-arm-on-linux/

Best regards
0 Kudos
xinliwang
Contributor III

Hi @kenli 

Thank you for reply.

Docker depends on what kind of rootfs platform we use, since real-time-edge is not ubuntu which I could not find appropriate platform version to install.

I tried to install docker engine from binaries. After successfully installed, it pops out an error after run docker run hello-world:

xinliwang_0-1686963747542.png

Since real time edge use cgroup v1 as default. I wonder maybe this is the point. I check the rt version that it does support cgroup v2.

So I find out a way to execute cgroup v2 by adding systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=1 to /etc/default/grub

But for nxp-real-time-edge is different from ubuntu, It doesn't have systemd comman and do not have grub file either.

So, how could I start cgroup v2 instead of cgroup v1? or how do I solve the docker problem?

0 Kudos