Deploy rootfs for LSDK 17.09 on LS2088A using tftp

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deploy rootfs for LSDK 17.09 on LS2088A using tftp

dorinpopa
Contributor I

I am using LSDK 17.09 for LS2088ARDB. I am trying to deploy a new rootfs on the device via tftp so I would like to rebuild the flex_linux_64.itb. Using the command in the flex-builder -i mkitb -a arm64 produce every time the same .itb altough I have installed new packages inside the rootfs. 

Thanks,

Dorin

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies

Pavel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Use the following command:

mkimage -l image

Have a great day,
Pavel Chubakov

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

brettstahlman
Contributor III

And for the other question? If all I need to do is reconfigure RCW/PBI (i.e., I'm fine with the default firmware and kernel), is it safe to skip the .itb altogether, and reprogram just the RCW/PBI into bank 0?

Note: I've used the "Programming a New RCW" instructions in section 4.4.5.7 of the QorIQ SDK guide to verify that I can boot from bank 1 after programming my custom RCW/PBI. Does this mean it should be safe to program it into bank 0?

0 Kudos

Pavel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Look at the following page:

https://community.nxp.com/thread/448395 
Have a great day,
Pavel Chubakov

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

brettstahlman
Contributor III

Is there a way to inspect the contents of an .itb binary? In particular, I'm wondering what's contained in...

http://www.nxp.com/lgfiles/sdk/lsdk1709/flex_linux_arm64.itb 

Some of the sample .its files I've seen in flexbuild include a ramdisk, but I haven't seen any specifying the actual ubuntu user land, and yet LSDK section 4.3 seems to imply that this one does. Am I misreading this section?

Also, does the alternate flash bank (bank 1, flash 2) contain the same default image as the primary bank when the LS1012A RDB ships? I don't really need to reprogram the image, but I need to program a custom RCW (and would prefer that it be in bank 0). Is it safe to reprogram just the RCW in bank 0? I mean, if I mess something up, is it possible to recover with CodeWarrior TAP?

Thanks,

Brett S.

0 Kudos

Pavel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Your are right. The simple help is available using the following command:

Have a great day,
Pavel Chubakov

0 Kudos

dorinpopa
Contributor I

However, my initial question is still unanswered. How can I generate an .itb to reflect current rootfs built with additional_packages_list_default parameter.

Thanks,

Dorin

0 Kudos

Pavel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Look at the Section 4.3 of LSDK documentation:

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/supporting-information/LSDK-KC-REV0.pdf

Find the following:

locally build it using the command below:

$ flex-builder -i mkinstaller -a <arch> to generate flex_linux_<arch>.itb

Have a great day,
Pavel Chubakov

0 Kudos

dorinpopa
Contributor I

Hi Pavel,

In LSDK 17.09 this command (mkinstaller) is not available maybe. I think it has been replaced by mkitb

~/workspace/LSDK/1709/flexbuild$ flex-builder -i mkinstaller -a arm64
INSTRUCTION: mkinstaller
DESTARCH: arm64
invalid instruction

Strange it is the LSDK documentation because in the flexbuild README is not present.

And as I said, mkitb build always same image with tiny distro.

Thanks,

Dorin

0 Kudos

dorinpopa
Contributor I

Thanks Pavel for you reply,

I have already done these steps and is working fine. What I asked is how could I regenerate the .itb to reflect my changes in rootf (so to get rid of the the tiny distro). For instance I need in rootfs : dpkg package but in this tinny distro it is not available. Everytime I generate .itb file same size is generated so does not reflect my local changes.

Thanks,

Dorin

0 Kudos

Pavel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Look at the Section 4.3 of LSDK documentation:

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/supporting-information/LSDK-KC-REV0.pdf

For arm64 platforms:

=> tftp a0000000 flex_linux_arm64.itb

=> bootm a0000000#<board-name>

The <board-name> can be: ls1043ardb, ls1046ardb, ls1088ardb, ls2088ardb.

Command sequence for your configuration:

=> tftp a0000000 flex_linux_arm64.itb

=> bootm a0000000# ls2088ardb

Have a great day,
Pavel Chubakov

0 Kudos

brettstahlman
Contributor III

Pavel,

What format is the .itb file, and what exactly does it contain? My understanding is that an .itb is usually a combination "kernel + .dtb", but this one seems to contain the entire ubuntu user land as well. Is this so?

Also, what is the significance of address 0xa0000000? It seems to be a common load address, but I don't see it documented anywhere...

Finally, are the instructions in the referenced section valid for LS1012A? The referenced section says, "The <board-name> can be: ls1043ardb, ls1046ardb, ls1088ardb, ls2088ardb"

Thanks,

Brett S.

0 Kudos