cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating LS1021A u-boot image to use with SD card

Jump to solution
rahulr
Contributor II

I am trying to prepare an SD card to boot LS1021A-TWR development board. The QorIQ-SDK (rev. 2) asks to program u-boot-with-spl-pbl-sd.bin to the SD card. When I run bitbake fsl-image-minimal, I get the following u-boot images.

u-boot.bin
u-boot-lpuart.bin
u-boot-ls1021atwr.bin
u-boot-nor.bin
u-boot-qspi.bin
u-boot-sdcard-ifc.bin
u-boot-sdcard-qspi.bin
u-boot-secure-boot.bin

How do I build u-boot-with-spl-pbl-sd.bin?

These are my u-boot settings in ls1021atwr.conf.

UBOOT_CONFIG ??= "sdcard-ifc sdcard-qspi lpuart qspi secure-boot nor"
UBOOT_CONFIG[nor] = "ls1021atwr_nor_config,,u-boot-dtb.bin"
UBOOT_CONFIG[sdcard-ifc] = "ls1021atwr_sdcard_ifc_config,,u-boot-with-spl-pbl.bin"
UBOOT_CONFIG[sdcard-qspi] = "ls1021atwr_sdcard_qspi_config,,u-boot-with-spl-pbl.bin"
UBOOT_CONFIG[lpuart] = "ls1021atwr_nor_lpuart_config,,u-boot-dtb.bin"
UBOOT_CONFIG[qspi] = "ls1021atwr_qspi_config,,u-boot-dtb.bin"
UBOOT_CONFIG[secure-boot] = "ls1021atwr_nor_SECURE_BOOT_config"

Labels (1)
1 Solution
ufedor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The u-boot-sdcard-ifc.bin and u-boot-sdcard-qspi.bin are complete images each of which has the RCW combined with the preboot load instructions (PBI), the U-Boot secondary program loader (SPL), and the main U-Boot executable.  The only operation required is to put either image to SD card starting at block 8.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ufedor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The u-boot-sdcard-ifc.bin and u-boot-sdcard-qspi.bin are complete images each of which has the RCW combined with the preboot load instructions (PBI), the U-Boot secondary program loader (SPL), and the main U-Boot executable.  The only operation required is to put either image to SD card starting at block 8.

rahulr
Contributor II

Thank you!

Out of curiosity, what is the u-boot-with-spl-pbl-sd.bin file? The QorIQ SDK documention mentions about, I could also see it in the ls1021atwr.conf file.

Where does bitbake/yocto recipe gets the RCW and PBI? What is the procedure if I need to change the RCW or PBI?

By the way, this is how I got the SD boot working.

1. Program the SD card from PC:

sudo dd if=u-boot-sdcard-ifc.bin of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512 seek=8

or

sudo dd if=u-boot-sdcard-qspi.bin of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512 seek=8

2. Change the LS1021A-TWR switch settings:

SW2 - 00100111

SW3 - 01100101

3. Plug the SD card to LS1021A-TWR and reset it.

0 Kudos
rahulr
Contributor II

Cool, this makes lot of sense. I guess the proper way to modify the RCW is to create a yocto recipe to patch the RCW and run bitbake to build the image.

0 Kudos
cswarth
Contributor III

Yes, that's probably the right way to go if you're in the NXP SDK.   Since I'm spending so much time diddling with uboot, I cloned the fsl-qoriq U-Boot Custodian Tree repo and build uboot directly, without the overhead of yocto and the NXP SDK.    I'll get back to using the NXP SDK again when I am ready to bring up linux.