Connecting LS1043ARDB through UART serial connection on CodeWarrior

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting LS1043ARDB through UART serial connection on CodeWarrior

franklin_turner
Contributor II

I have a 1043ARDB and I want to establish a connection with it through CodeWarrior using the serial connection with the RJ45 to DB9 cable on the UART1 port and I am having some issues with it. I can connect and communicate with the board using Tera Term and PuTTY with the same connection but when I try to do the same with CodeWarrior, it doesn't work.

I already set up the CodeWarrior project to how it was referenced via the CWARMv8TM.pdf in section 6.9 "I/O support", duplicated the LS1043A_RDB in the Target Connections tab as well as set the USE_SAFE_RCW to true in the Target Initialization File in the duplicate board but when I run the Connection Diagnostics, I get this:

pastedImage_2.png

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies

franklin_turner
Contributor II

After I read the thread that you linked, I ended up searching for firmware for the LS1043 which led me to this thread:

how to update the firmware of cmsisdap on ls1043 

I downloaded the firmware that was provided, followed the instructions on the PDF provided, and then ran a connection diagnostic in CodeWarrior, which showed that the board and CodeWarrior are now communicating with each other, but I was able to achieve this through the USB Type A to mini-B cable and not through UART.

I do have a quick question. Is there a way to control the on-board LEDs on the LS1043 using CodeWarrior?

0 Kudos

yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

You could write program to configure GPIO to control on board leds on or off.

0 Kudos

franklin_turner
Contributor II

Okay, do you know if NXP provides example c files or c code for UDP or Ethernet?

0 Kudos

yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Franklin Turner,

Please configure SW3[3] as 1, SW3[6] as 0.

SW3[3]   UART_SEL      UART1 output select
                                        • 0: RJ45, J4 lower one
                                        • 1: CMSIS-DAP, mini-USB port (default setting)

SW3[6] OPENSDA_EN  CMSIS-DAP JTAG forced disable
                                       • 0: JTAG can be used by header or CMSIS-DAP (default setting)
                                       • 1: CMSIS-DAP JTAG is forced to be disabled

If your problem remains, please refer to the following procedure to capture the low level CCS log in CodeWarrior IDE to me?
In CW "Hello World" project, please click Window->Preferences->Debug Sever Connection->Logging Configuration, in PROTOCOL logging panel, please configure "Logging level" as "DEBUG" and check "Enable logging to Eclipse console". Please connect to the target board, the low level CCS log will be printed in the console.

Thanks,

Yiping

0 Kudos

franklin_turner
Contributor II

This is what I get from the console:

ccs_open
    ipaddr = 127.0.0.1
    port = 41475
    timeout = 300
    serverh = 0
    ccs_open; ccs_error = 10
    Error message: Connection refused
ccs_open
    ipaddr = 127.0.0.1
    port = 41475
    timeout = 300
    serverh = 0
    ccs_open; ccs_error = 0
ccs_get_cc_config
    serverh = 0
    cc = 0
    config_string =
    ccs_get_cc_config; ccs_error = 23
    Error message: CC not present
ccs_config_cc
    serverh = 0
    config_string = cmsisdap:COM4
    ccs_config_cc; ccs_error = 0
ccs_set_connection_timeout
    serverh = 0
    timeout = 300
    ccs_set_connection_timeout; ccs_error = 0
ccs_config_server
    serverh = 0
    cc = 0
    server_config = 0
    value = 115200
    ccs_config_server; ccs_error = 25
    Error message: USB open failure
ccs_delete_cc
    serverh = 0
    count = 0
    ccs_delete_cc; ccs_error = 6
    Error message: Invalid parameter
ccs_close
    serverh = 0
    ccs_close; ccs_error = 0
ccs_open
    ipaddr = 127.0.0.1
    port = 41475
    timeout = 300
    serverh = 0
    ccs_open; ccs_error = 0
ccs_close
    serverh = 0
    ccs_close; ccs_error = 0

Edit: I also get this error when I run the debugger:

Target connection failed. Please re-check the settings.

Processor: LS1043A
Probe: CMSISDAP (4)
//
Additional error details:
[CCS: TAP USB open failure]

0 Kudos

yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Franklin Turner,

In "Target Connection Configuration" panel, no need to configure CMSIS DAP Connection"Serial number", please only select "CMSIS DAP", JTAG Speed as 6000 kHz.

Please refer to the attached screenshot.

Thanks,

Yiping

0 Kudos

franklin_turner
Contributor II

I was able to change the settings in the Target Connection Configuration to the above and I still don't have connection. I was able to read the "CodeWarrior Debugger Console I/O" in the "README" section of the Target Connection Configuration and it says that "By default UART2 is used. In order to switch to a different UART port you need to specify the appropriate port address in the start.S file included in the project:".

But when I went to the start.S file, the file already defaults to UART1. Is there anything else that I am missing so that I can get connected to the board?

0 Kudos

yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Would you please  use the following procedure to capture the low level CCS log to me again?

In CW "Hello World" project, please click Window->Preferences->Debug Sever Connection->Logging Configuration, in PROTOCOL logging panel, please configure "Logging level" as "DEBUG" and check "Enable logging to Eclipse console". Please connect to the target board, the low level CCS log will be printed in the console.

0 Kudos

franklin_turner
Contributor II

Okay this is what I get:

ccs_open
   ipaddr = 127.0.0.1
   port = 41475
   timeout = 300
   serverh = 0
   ccs_open; ccs_error = 0

ccs_get_cc_config
   serverh = 0
   cc = 0
   config_string =
   ccs_get_cc_config; ccs_error = 23
   Error message: CC not present
ccs_config_cc
   serverh = 0
   config_string = cmsisdap:
   ccs_config_cc; ccs_error = 0
ccs_set_connection_timeout
   serverh = 0
   timeout = 300
   ccs_set_connection_timeout; ccs_error = 0
ccs_config_server
   serverh = 0
   cc = 0
   server_config = 0
   value = 6000
   ccs_config_server; ccs_error = 25
   Error message: USB open failure
ccs_delete_cc
   serverh = 0
   count = 0
   ccs_delete_cc; ccs_error = 6
   Error message: Invalid parameter
ccs_close
   serverh = 0
   ccs_close; ccs_error = 0

0 Kudos

yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Download and install the latest serial driver for Windows:

https://os.mbed.com/handbook/Windows-serial-configuration#1-download-the-mbed-windows-serial-port

Please refer to the following readme file to install CMSIS-DAP driver

Freescale/CW4NET_v2019.01/Common/CCS/drivers/usb/readme.cmsisdap.txt

0 Kudos

franklin_turner
Contributor II

So apparently, the mbed driver was installed but it didn't show up until I enabled the "Show Hidden Devices" in Device Manager. When it shows up, it was displayed as "MBED microntroller USB Device" and it is under "Disk Drives". I  uninstall and reinstall the driver but nothing happened. I'm gonna try to install the driver with the board on and see what happens. My question is why does the driver show up as a "Disk Drive" as oppose to a USB controller or a Port? I know that stopping Storage Service in Component Services helps but it still shows up as a disk drive.

0 Kudos

yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport
0 Kudos

franklin_turner
Contributor II

I cannot install the mbed serial port driver. When I try to install the driver, it says that it installs successfully, but when I power on the board and use a terminal, nothing shows up and when I try to find the port in the device manager or look up software in my computer's settings, it doesn't appear anywhere.

0 Kudos

yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Please try to use other USB port on your PC or try to install mbed serial port driver on other PC.

After plug in USB cable, please wait for a while util the system is stable, then check whether there is serial port probed in the Device manager.

0 Kudos