Where is the 0x0000001C checksum being created?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is the 0x0000001C checksum being created?

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Fraggle on Fri Feb 12 09:04:39 MST 2010
Hello World,

can anybody tell me where the tool chain creates this "valid user code" checksum?  As far as I can see after linking the axf or bin files still contain a zero, but during debugging suddenly there is a reasonable value. I cannot really imagine that it is good practice to let the debugger do the vitally important final post-processing.

(Actually I'm not 100% sure that my findings are correct, as I'll probably need another 100 years until I understand this IDE. Sorry.)

So if anybody could give me a hint, where this checksum is generated and how to influence this, I'd very much appreciate this!

Regards
Dirk
0 Kudos
3 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by fmackenthun on Fri Jul 06 04:56:48 MST 2012
if someone else is looking on how to create the checksum:

http://forum.sparkfun.com/viewtopic.php?t=2512

helped me a lot...
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Fri Feb 12 10:29:14 MST 2010
You might also want to read the thread below which contains information on the checksum utility which can be used to put the checksum into the image if you wish to use an external programmer (such as flashmagic)

The sequence would be:
build the executable (axf)
run the arm-none-eabi-objcopy utility to create a binary image
run the checksum utility to place the checksum into the binary image

http://knowledgebase.nxp.trimm.net/showthread.php?p=401
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Fri Feb 12 09:53:54 MST 2010
The LPCXpresso flash module (not the IDE) is responsible for calculating the appropriate checksum. The checksum is embedded in flash when the image is programmed. There's no need for the user to calculate this, and we fail to see why anyone would want to.

Regards,

CodeRedSupport

Quote: Fraggle
Hello World,

can anybody tell me where the tool chain creates this "valid user code" checksum?  As far as I can see after linking the axf or bin files still contain a zero, but during debugging suddenly there is a reasonable value. I cannot really imagine that it is good practice to let the debugger do the vitally important final post-processing.

(Actually I'm not 100% sure that my findings are correct, as I'll probably need another 100 years until I understand this IDE. Sorry.)

So if anybody could give me a hint, where this checksum is generated and how to influence this, I'd very much appreciate this!

Regards
Dirk

0 Kudos