What is the difference between LPCXpresso and new released MCUXpresso?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between LPCXpresso and new released MCUXpresso?

devaljariwala
Contributor I

what is the difference between LPCXpresso and MCUXpresso IDE?

Can I use my old LPCXpresso project in MCUXpresso IDE as it is.?

Will my application work ?

Labels (1)
5 Replies

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I would also suggest reading through : https://community.nxp.com/thread/468737#comment-980665 

0 Kudos

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Going forward, new LPC MCUs will generally be supported in MCUXpresso IDE via the provision of an SDK. SDKs for some existing parts may also start to appear over time, but I can't make any comment at this stage as to which and when.

MCUXpresso IDE contains built in support for a slightly extended set of LPC Cortex-M based parts that were supported in LPCXpresso IDE v8.2.2. It does not however contain support for the old ARM7/ARM9 based LPC2000 and LPC3000 families.

For more information on differences between MCUXpresso IDE and LPCXpresso IDE, I would suggest looking at the MCUXpresso IDE documentation, starting with the Installation Guide. The documentation can all be accessed online via http://www.nxp.com/mcuxpresso/ide/documentation.

If you have more questions on MCUXpresso IDE, I would suggest posting them on the MCUXpresso IDE forum : https://community.nxp.com/community/mcuxpresso/mcuxpresso-ide 

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

0 Kudos

philipouellette
Contributor I

I noticed that the only the LPC54000 processor currently has an MCUXpresso SDK. Are there any plans to provide SKDs for other LPC parts like the LPC43XX?

Does MCUXpresso support all the same processors that LPCXpresso supports?

0 Kudos

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

To add a little more background:

1. MCUXpresso IDE is based on the Eclipse IDE and includes the industry standard ARM GNU toolchain. It brings developers an easy-to-use and unlimited code size development environment for NXP MCUs based on Cortex-M cores (LPC and Kinetis). This new IDE combines the best of the widely popular LPCXpresso and Kinetis Design Studio IDEs, providing a common platform for all NXP Cortex-M microcontrollers. With full-featured free (code size unlimited) and affordable professional editions, MCUXpresso IDE provides an intuitive and powerful interface with profiling, power measurement on supported boards, GNU tool integration and library, multicore capable debugger, trace functionality and more. MCUXpresso IDE debug connections support Freedom, Tower®, LPCXpresso and your custom development boards with industry- leading open-source and commercial debug probes including LPC-Link2, P&E and SEGGER.

In essence, MCUXpresso IDE inherits almost all of the features of LPCXpresso IDE, plus:

- extendable part (MCU) support via SDKs. See SDK Builder at Welcome to MCUXpresso | MCUXpresso Config Tools 

- inbuilt seamless support for SEGGER and P&E debug probes in addition to updated LinkServer (CMSIS-DAP) support from LPCXpresso IDE

- many tweaks, enhancements and bug fixes

Yours,

LPCXpresso Support

0 Kudos

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The MCUXpresso IDE is the first NXP tools release with combined support for the NXP Kinetis and LPC parts. You can install MCUXpresso IDE alongside the LPCXpresso IDE and import your LPCXpresso projects into a new workspace. It's quite likely you'll see no differences whatsoever..

Thanks and regards,

LPCXpresso Support