V1 LPC-Link not working with LPC2xxx

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V1 LPC-Link not working with LPC2xxx

jdupre
Contributor II

I'm trying to program/debug an LPC2368 system with the LPC-Link on the LPCXpresso LPC812 development board. All of the traces to the LPC812 target have been cut.  I get the following error:

Debug probe not supported with this target
LinkServer does not support NXP LPC2368 (arm7tdmi)

Isn't the correct type of debug probe as described at Which debug probes are supported by LPCXpresso IDE with which MCUs?

After the error message the probe is identified as:

LPC-Link Probe v1.3
SN: HID64HS12
Type: LPC-Link (HID)

The next window that appears is "JTAG Configuration" where I am told that "IR Length required"

Device: 0

Name: [blank]

TAP Id: 0xffffffe0

IR Len: ?

Details: [blank]

Scanchain: [blank]

I'm connecting to my target via the Embedded Artist's 10 to 20 pin JTAG Adapter:

http://www.embeddedartists.com/sites/default/files/docs/schematics/10-to-20_pos_JTAG_adapter.pdf

I have not installed R29 on the LPC-Link to enable VCC, because the target is already powered.

I also note the there is no TRST signal from the LPC-Link, which would leave TRST on my target floating.

What to do?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

This is because the latest LPCXpresso IDE defaults to using a debug connection mechanism that will not work with ARM7 based parts. To resolve this simply go to the workspace preferences ...

Window - Preferences - LPCXpresso - Debug Emulator Selection

and untick "LinkServer".

Note that this means that if you want to debug Cortex-M based parts rather than ARM7 based ones, you should use a different workspace where you have not made the above preference change.

Regards,

LPCXpresso Support

0 Kudos

jdupre
Contributor II

Unchecking "LinkServer" made the unsupported error go away.  Next is the JTAG configuration.  Now it displays Tap Id: 0xfffffffe.  I enter 4 for the IR length and contine and get the following error:

Target reported errors

02: Failed on connect

Attempt to reset while in reset.

Emu(0): Connected. Was: NotConnected. CpuID:00000000. Info: HID64HS12

Next I powered up my target while holding the ISP pin low.  This time JTAG configuration comes up as:

name: ARM7TDMI-S

Tap Id: 0x4f1f0f0f

IR Len: 4

Now I enter debug mode and the debugger stops in cr_startup_lpc23.s at line 130:

129     Vectors:

130     B     _start              // reset

Trying to resume/continue, the debugger always halts at line 130. I never get to main().  (This is just using the base code that is generated by LPCxpresso when creating a simple C project.)  I found that if I pressed "step over" it would take me to line 384 at which point I could resume and it would take me into main().  I tried adding "next" and "continue" commands to the GDB script in the debug settings, but this had no effect.

So, the questions are now:

1) How can I prevent having to cycle power and enter ISP mode before every debug session?

2) How can I automate the debugger to skip past the startup code and break at main()?

[ By the way, this hardware works fine when debugging with an Amontec JTAGkey-2 under my old development environment utilizing OpenOCD.  For the record, my target has RTCK, TDO, TDI, TMS, TRST_N, TCK, and RST connected.  TDO and RST are pulled up and TCK is pulled down with 10K resistors. ]

[ I also tried debugging an Embedded Artists Base Board w/ LPC2468 module and have the same results. ]

0 Kudos