cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Segmentation fault (core dumped) on Ubuntu 16.04 with lpcxpresso 8.2.2

gergosnoo
Contributor II

Hi,

I can not run or launch My lpcxpresso 8.2.2.
I already tried to reinstall the program and I also reinstalled my whole OS once.
But the problem still occurs and I can not run the lpcxpresso and I got the following error every time:

gergosnoo@snooPC:~$ '/usr/local/lpcxpresso_8.2.2_650/lpcxpresso/lpcxpresso'

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "overlay-scrollbar"
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gail"
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "atk-bridge"
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "unity-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Please help me, how can i fix this problem?

I read the INSTALL.txt readme for installation and also read and run these following sudo commands:

Ubuntu 13.10 no longer provides a convenient method to install all
32-bit compatible libraries, so they must all be installed
individually. Those that are required for LPCXpresso 7 are as follows:

sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-0:i386 libxtst6:i386 libpangox-1.0-0:i386 \
libpangoxft-1.0-0:i386 libidn11:i386 libglu1-mesa:i386 \
libncurses5:i386 libudev1:i386 libusb-1.0:i386 libusb-0.1:i386 \
gtk2-engines-murrine:i386 libnss3-1d:i386

If I use the Ubuntu search to find the lpcxpresso and try to launch it without terminal then I got nothing, except a flashing gray icon on the launcher and then it disappears.

Thanks in advance.

Gergo

13 Replies

klausrschambeck
Contributor III

there is a new linux kernel out and it seems to work now

uname -r
4.4.0-83-generic

0 Kudos

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

It appears that there have been issues reported using Java applications using recent Linux updates, including the Eclipse framework that LPCXpresso IDE is built on top of : For instance (external link) : Eclipse Crashes with Linux Kernel 4.4.0-81-generic - Ask Ubuntu . Thus it is possible that your segmentation faults after OS updating are related to this.

Also, as a follow on to the comment my colleague made - details of the MCUXpresso IDE, introduced in March 2017 and which is now an Ubuntu 64 bit application, rather than 32bit as LPCXpresso IDE can be found at : http://www.nxp.com/mcuxpresso/ide

Regards,

LPCXpresso Support

0 Kudos

klausrschambeck
Contributor III

ok, copying the installed folder seems to work ... used the symlink in the 1st attempt ... so it seems there is a way to get it where i want it (in the ssd portion of my setup)

again, thanks for all the info :smileywink:

0 Kudos

klausrschambeck
Contributor III

thanks for the info ... it would have been nice to have a link to the mcuxpresso download at the link below

https://nxp.flexnetoperations.com/control/frse/product?entitlementId=187002077&lineNum=1&authContact... 

as a person who is used to go straight to the download (via button) i didn't see or read the announcement of the mcuxpresso and the obsolete-ion of lpcxpresso

thanks again for the info and it seem to work ... haven't gotten a core-dump

a couple more things --- how to change the install destination ... i usually have it at a location of my choosing ... a simple copying of the installed image to the destination of choice seems not to work

and i haven't seen an uninstall option either

thanks that it seems to work

0 Kudos

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

NXP no longer maintains LPCXpresso 8.2.2 to the extent we retest compatibility with the latest Ubuntu updates. Having said that, I've experienced no trouble myself. As a path forward, NXP recommends you update to the Linux 64-bit MCUXpresso IDE, introduced in March 2017.

Thanks and regards,

LPCXpresso Support

0 Kudos

klausrschambeck
Contributor III

i meant to mention that the previous version 8.2.0 which i also had installed is no longer running ... same "core dumped" crash

would this mean that lpcxpresso is no longer working on a k/ubunntu machine ???

for most of us, we use xpresso and we also update / maintain our linux based machines and do not check the nxp support site before we update our computer to find out that xpresso is now no longer working

i hope NXP will provide a workable solution soon ... other than reinstall the whole OS and don't update or setup VMs

0 Kudos

Poloni
Contributor II

Bad workaround!

I created a VM and I installed a clean Ubuntu desktop 16.04.2 and I didn't authorize automatically update. After the install of Ubuntu, I installed all the dependencies of LPCxpresso and, again, not upgraded the system. I installed the LPCxpresso and it is working again.

gergosnoo
Contributor II

Cool thanks, I will try. But it would be better if it could run with updates as well. 

0 Kudos

Poloni
Contributor II

This is a strategy for stay away from problems like this. I have been used dockers to encapsulate legacy compilers like GCC 4.1/4.4.

0 Kudos

Poloni
Contributor II

I'm suffering the same problem. Recently I upgraded my ubuntu 14.04 and now LPCxpresso is crashing.

0 Kudos

gergosnoo
Contributor II

Good to know I am not the only one. 

0 Kudos

klausrschambeck
Contributor III

i would like to add more information, which doesn't fix the issue, but maybe it helps the guys at NXP to find it faster

this seems a bit more severe than i hoped for and here are my findings

i have 3 kubuntu 1604 based machines, an amd64 desktop, a dell e6420 i7 and an intel nuc i5

i haven't done firmware for a while and didn't pay to much attention since i installed lpxpresso 8.2.2 back in 2016 ... i'm sure it worked on all 3 since i usually test the install

now that i'm back to hw fw design i tried to start xpresso on the dell e6420 and got the core dumped crash ... yeah must be something wrong ... un-installed xpresso ... did all the upt-get updates ... upgrade and followed it with the 32 install from

Installing LPCXpresso on Linux 

result ... nothing 32 bit needed to be installed, as it was already present ... now a clean install of xpresso 8.2.2 from my previously downloaded install file (the install file i used back in 2016) ... result was the same core dumps ... (small panic)

now i got a bit nervous and tried to start it on the amd64 box ... same core dumps (more panic)

i have to say that these 2 machines had all latest updates and maintenance

but the intel nuc wasn't used in the last few weeks and upon powering it up, lpcxpresso worked fine

now here comes the clue :

i also apt-get updated / ugraded kubuntu 1604 to the latest and now i have 3 boxes with xpresso no longer working 

to me this would be an indication that the ubuntu / kubuntu 1604 and / or some lib updates from the last 3 or so weeks caused this malfunction ...

so please NXP xpresso guys, please please fix it, otherwise i have to work with the win10 box and i hate this since xpresso runs at snail speed in windows

thanks and cheers efiLabs

0 Kudos

pre
Contributor I

Hi

I also have this problem (Unity + mate installed) , I've installed all needed gtk libraries mentioned in this error (for x64 and i386), problem still persists -> error from gtk dissapeared but core dump still persists.

It started to happen after installing updates.

/usr/local/lpcxpresso_8.2.2_650/lpcxpresso$ ./lpcxpresso
GLib-GIO-Message: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.
Segmentation fault (core dump)

0 Kudos