cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to ARM and Lpcxpresso [help with cmsis]

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by bruno_eng on Wed Jan 04 10:30:00 MST 2012
I'm new using LPC11U14F (cortex M0.)
I would like to know if NXP or Code Red has like a library manual for CMSIS?:confused:

I downloaded the files from nxp site but can not create a blank project.

Regars in advance.

Bruno.
0 Kudos
8 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Wed Jan 04 15:20:54 MST 2012
For background information on CMSIS, please see the FAQ:

http://support.code-red-tech.com/CodeRedWiki/Support4CMSIS

ARM's documentation on  CMSIS is all included within the LPCXpresso4 IDE's online help system via:

Help -> Help Contents -> Code Red Product Documentation -> CMSIS

For general information on using LPCXpresso, see the supplied getting started guide.

You may also find the below video introduction useful. Although this was produced for LPCXpresso3, the general principles still apply for LPCXpresso4...

http://ics.nxp.com/support/training/learn.eclipse.lpcxpresso/

Regards,
CodeRedSupport
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Ex-Zero on Wed Jan 04 11:49:43 MST 2012

Quote:
What do you recommend reading to be able to create a simple application of GPIO and UART?

I would strongly recommend to create new projects with 'Project Wizard' (and include CMSIS) or import included samples. Together with register descriptions in User Manual 10398 they should explain how this chip is working :)

A lot of questions have been answered in this forum so a search should also answer a lot of your questions.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Rob65 on Wed Jan 04 11:49:06 MST 2012

Quote: NXP_USA

To see the documentation, you have to download the entire CMSIS bundle and unarchive it. This is pretty complex and may not be helpful.

11  MB for just a few generic access functions ???
I'd call Pretty complex an understatement :eek:

Quote:

Code Red has packaged some of these files (just the files for each individual chip) into the individual CMSIS libraries that they distribute with LPCXpresso and Red Suite to save you the trouble of having to get the entire CMSIS bundle and understand it.

And even the documentation in the IDE is complex.

Do remember that this is just a generic module with common functions for all M0/M3/M4 devices so you will not find any 'drivers' to use the peripherals that are lpc1xxx specific. If you are looking for ways to use GPIO,Uart, Timers and othe peripherals you are better of with the examples that are provided with the tools.
But do remember that these are only examples, no full function device drivers that are proven drivers with documentation. You will need to look into the code yourself and check the user manual to see what these examples actually do.
Still a good source to start writing your own software though.

Rob
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Rob65 on Wed Jan 04 11:36:30 MST 2012
Searching google with "cmsis user manual" directed me to this link on the code-red website. On that page it is said that there is CMSIS documentation in the CMSIS project and in the project it refers to the help system of the LPCXpresso IDE :eek:

So after being pushed around a bit I ended up in [B]help -> help content[/B] and there select [B]Code Red Product Documentation[/B] and then [B]CMSIS[/B] in the IDE.
There you'll find the documentation of CMSIS.

As far as I know the only usable stuff in CMSIS v2.00 is the SystemInit() function, which (optionally) programs the clock generator unit and the flash accelerator combined with the SystemCoreClock variable to tell you what speed your processor is running at. The is just one more function: SystemCoreClockUpdate() that you should call after changing any of the CGU settings in order to recalculate the SystemCoreClock variable so it will reflect the correct frequency.

I completely skipped SystemInit() and provided my own clocking functions instead - SystemInit() is just too limited.

Regards,[INDENT]Rob
[/INDENT]
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by bruno_eng on Wed Jan 04 11:35:35 MST 2012

Quote: NXP_USA
Hi!

The CMSIS files are documented on an ARM site here:
http://www.onarm.com/cmsis/
To see the documentation, you have to download the entire CMSIS bundle and unarchive it. This is pretty complex and may not be helpful.

Code Red has packaged some of these files (just the files for each individual chip) into the individual CMSIS libraries that they distribute with LPCXpresso and Red Suite to save you the trouble of having to get the entire CMSIS bundle and understand it.

Ok, Thanks.

I will try it.
What do you recommend reading to be able to create a simple application of GPIO and UART?

Thanks
Bruno.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by NXP_USA on Wed Jan 04 11:28:34 MST 2012

Quote: bruno_eng
Rob,

Maybe have expressed myself wrong.
I want to create a new project importing CMSIS library.
I can create a project like as described in "starter guide", but I want to do my code in blanck, so I asked if there is a library manual describing how CMSIS trigger a GPIO, Interrupt etc.
I have some dificults to understand how CMSIS works, sorry for expressing myself poorly.

Regard

Bruno.

Hi!

The CMSIS files are documented on an ARM site here:
http://www.onarm.com/cmsis/

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by bruno_eng on Wed Jan 04 11:00:54 MST 2012

Quote: Rob65
Bruno,

what are you trying to do?
If you installed the LPCXpresso IDE then you will be able to create a new project from within the IDE and you can import the CMSIS project from the examples directory.

It's all described in the getting started guide how to do this.

Regards,[INDENT]Rob
[/INDENT]

Rob,

Maybe have expressed myself wrong.
I want to create a new project importing CMSIS library.
I can create a project like as described in "starter guide", but I want to do my code in blanck, so I asked if there is a library manual describing how CMSIS trigger a GPIO, Interrupt etc.
I have some dificults to understand how CMSIS works, sorry for expressing myself poorly.

Regard

Bruno.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Rob65 on Wed Jan 04 10:49:47 MST 2012
Bruno,

what are you trying to do?
If you installed the LPCXpresso IDE then you will be able to create a new project from within the IDE and you can import the CMSIS project from the examples directory.

It's all described in the getting started guide how to do this.

Regards,
[INDENT]Rob
[/INDENT]
0 Kudos