cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac OSX El Capitan

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by vinylrider on Sat Oct 03 12:41:59 MST 2015
Hi everyone,

today i updated my MacBook to the new OS version El Capitan. Since the update i can't connect my LPCXpresso board LPC1769
with the LPCXPRESSO IDE. The board has LPC-Link v1.1  .

1)  When i try to debug my project i get the fault: Error received while booting LPC-Link v1.1

2)  At the debug probe selection when i try to boot the LPC-Link i get this error.

InvocationTargetException

java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
  at com.crt.debugcommon.emulator.common.AbstractCommonBootableProbe$2.run(AbstractCommonBootableProbe.java:576)
  at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:122)
  Caused by: java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException
  at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.get(FutureTask.java:201)
  at com.crt.utils.general.ExecCommand.exec(ExecCommand.java:276)
  at com.crt.utils.general.RunCommand.run(RunCommand.java:148)
  at com.crt.utils.general.RunCommand.run(RunCommand.java:131)
  at com.crt.debugcommon.emulator.common.AbstractCommonBootableProbe.booter(AbstractCommonBootableProbe.java:94)
  at com.crt.debugcommon.emulator.common.AbstractCommonBootableProbe.access$1(AbstractCommonBootableProbe.java:86)
  at com.crt.debugcommon.emulator.common.AbstractCommonBootableProbe$2.run(AbstractCommonBootableProbe.java:569)
  ... 1 more

3) I have already done this: http://support.code-red-tech.com/CodeRedWiki/DebugAccessChip
procedure but the problem remains...

I would appreciate any help,

Thank you all in advance!
0 Kudos
24 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Tue May 10 22:38:08 MST 2016

Back up a step. Open a terminal and navigate to the '/Applications/lpcxpresso_8.1.4_606/lpcxpresso/bin' folder. In this folder you'll find the boot_link1 script. This script can be used standalone to DFU the LPCXpressoWIN.enc probe to the LPC-Link1, and uses dfu-util in the same manner as the LPCXpresso IDE. First, cycle power on the LPC-Link1 to boot the DFU device. Then, execute the boot_link1 script. If this succeeds you'll see a LPC-Link1 device with the VID:PID 1FC9:0009. Report your results.

Thanks and regards,
LPCXpresso Support
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by vtw.433e on Tue May 10 00:40:39 MST 2016
Buy a link2. It works, is faster and is cheap.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by focussing on Mon May 09 23:01:17 MST 2016
Hello,

I also tested this on my macbook pro MacBook Pro (15-inch, end 2011) running OSX 10.11.4.
Also LPC Link1 is not recognized!!
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Mon May 09 11:27:00 MST 2016

To add more background, the DFU related problem introduced in Mac OS X El Capitan manifests as the OS not being notified to re-enumerate the device list after a DFU operation. If you have USB Prober, or some such, confirm whether the LPC-Link1 DFU device is still present. This is VID:PID 0471:DF55, as in vinylrider's example.

After consulting with Apple, NXP discovered the USB state used by libusb to tell the OS when to re-enumerate got broken in El Capitan. This fix was added to the libusb dynamic library first distributed with the LPCXpresso 8.1.0 installation. This fix is working with our NXP internal (and other) configurations. Apple made available a number of El Capitan updates over a period of weeks. Make sure you have their latest.

Thanks and regards,
LPCXpresso Support

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Mon May 09 10:42:03 MST 2016
Sorry, but using LPCXpresso IDE v8.1.4 on Mac OS X 10.11.4, we no longer see any issues with LPC-Link1 on El Capitan using the variety of Mac's that we have access to.

Best guess would be that Apple still has some remaining issues with their new El Capitan USB stack that only affects very specific machines.

Regards,
LPCXpresso Support
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by focussing on Mon May 09 00:00:18 MST 2016
Any news about this issue?
Still no connection possible to the LPC-Link 1.1.
So please a final solution, or a good workaround (not a powered hub, this is not possible in our setup).

Getting urgent; this is the only way to communicate with the base board!!

Best regards,
Raymond
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by focussing on Wed Mar 09 12:09:37 MST 2016
iMac (27-inch, medio 2011)
USB2 ports, directly connected with LPC-Link1

Regards,
Raymond
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Tue Mar 08 10:49:00 MST 2016
Can you confirm what Mac you are using, and also whether the USB ports are USB 3 or USB2?

Use the Apple menu in the top left hand corner of the screen and select "About this Mac" to get your Mac model details.

Can you also confirm whether your LPC-Link1 is connected directly to your Mac, or via a hub? If via a hub, please try connecting directly as see if you see the same behaviour.

Regards,
LPCXpresso Support
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by focussing on Tue Mar 08 09:13:24 MST 2016
www.focussing.nl/lpc.png
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by focussing on Tue Mar 08 09:11:30 MST 2016
Initializing LPC-Link v1.1 with LPCXpressoWIN.enc

Timeout waiting for LPC-Link v1.1 to initialize (0).
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Tue Mar 08 07:58:32 MST 2016
LPCXpresso IDE v8.1.2 boots and finds LPC-Link1 devices here on Macs running Mac OS X 10.11.3 as well as the latest 10.11.4 beta. I would expect LPCXpresso IDE v8.1.0 behaviour to be exactly the same.

Please clarify exactly what you see.

Note that from LPCXpresso IDE v8.1.0 onwards, LPC-Link1 connections to Cortex-M based MCUs are made through the "Linkserver" (also known as redlinkserv). It possible that you might be seeing a side effect of this change, though without more data it is hard to say what.

Regards,
LPCXpresso Support
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by focussing on Tue Mar 08 07:07:04 MST 2016
Hello,

According this Update : 23rd February 2016

With the release of LPCXpresso IDE v8.1.0, the remaining Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan issue - the failure of LPC-Link1 probes to boot - has now been resolved. The use of Mac OS X 10.11.3 or later is recommended.

I am running Mac OS X 10.11.3 and IDE v8.1.2 and I am sorry to say that the LPCXpresso still cannot connect to a LPC-Link1.1.

What is the real solution?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by focussing on Wed Feb 03 01:37:03 MST 2016
Thank you for your answer.

I know about the forum thread.
Flash programming speed is not an issue for us.

We are using LPC-Link1 for more installations. That is the reason why I am asking when the problem is fixed for El Capitan in combination with LPC-Link1.
The statement "The LPCXpresso team is actively working to address these issues and will post further information when it becomes available." is already there for quite a while...

Best regards,
Raymond
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Tue Feb 02 04:31:35 MST 2016
The situation here is as documented in the sticky forum thread at:

https://www.lpcware.com/content/forum/lpcxpresso-and-lpcscrypt-current-status-using-mac-osx-1011-el-...

Red Probe+ now functions with later El Capitan builds.

But if you are using LPC-Link1, then if you want to work on El Capitan, then currently the best solution is to move to using LPC-Link2 (unless you are using your LPC-Link1 to debug ARM7 or ARM9 based MCUs - which LPC-Link2 will not work with). This will also provide general debug performance benefits too, particularly in flash programming speeds.

Regards,
LPCXpresso Support
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by focussing on Tue Feb 02 03:51:03 MST 2016
Hello,

I am waiting with updating to El Capitan for a solution for the above problem.
Any idea when it is fixed?

This is getting quite urgent....

Best regards!
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by vinylrider on Mon Oct 05 09:52:36 MST 2015
I can't understand when you say that the OS fails to enumerate the device...

Currently as you can see from my pictures the OS
1)detects the device
2)identify the speed
3)getting its description information
4)assign port address

I don't know if the OS does the following

1) see the configuration
2) load the descriptor tables properly in order to enumerate the device

I guess that the procedure you proposed is to trick the operating system  J)

Nevertheless [u]THANKS A LOT[/u] and i hope you to find a solution soon

off topic :
i had also a problem with a usb to serial converter with El Capitan but it is fixed. The new System Integrity Protection feature of the OS blocked any kind of third party driver from being used
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Iztech on Mon Oct 05 08:17:07 MST 2015
Many thanks for letting us know.

AndyR
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Mon Oct 05 07:34:00 MST 2015
We are currently investigating 2 issues when using Mac OSX El Capitan

1 - LPC-Link1 probes fail to boot:

In fact, the LPC-Link1 probe does boot, however the OS fails to enumerate the new device.

A work around is to connect the Link1 probe to the Mac via a powered hub.
Then use the GUI icon or Command line script to boot the probe.
Finally, disconnect the hub from the Mac for a second or so and reconnect.
The booted LPC-Link1 will now appear and can be used to debug as usual. Provided power is maintained to the link1 device, the soft loaded firmware will continue to run.

https://www.lpcware.com/content/faq/lpcxpresso/booting-lpc-link

2 - RedProbe+ is not recognized by the LPCXpresso IDE.

Currently we have no work around for this problem.

It should be noted that there are numerous reports emerging of USB devices failing to operate correctly under OSX El Capitan. We will continue to investigate these issues and post any progress for their resolution.

Yours,
LPCXpresso-Support

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by vinylrider on Mon Oct 05 04:45:27 MST 2015
These are the pictures sorry for the previous ones
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Iztech on Mon Oct 05 04:36:11 MST 2015
Hi all,
Anyone found a fix for this problem as i've got exactly the same issue after updating to El Capitan. When i try to debug with my Red Probe+, LPCXpresso can't find the debugger however it is showing up in the OS devices. I'm also running the latest version of LPCXpresso Pro

AndyR
0 Kudos