Export classifcation for lpcopen

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export classifcation for lpcopen

lrdoolittle
Contributor I

I have a embedded program/project that supports building for the LPC1776 using the lpcopen 2.10 library. It works great!

Now my lawyers want to know the "export classification" for lpcopen, to know if it's OK to incorporate a copy of lpcopen within a public github project.

0 Kudos
5 Replies

lrdoolittle
Contributor I

My legal contact clarified that we're not looking for legal advance.  They seem to think NXP ought to have an Export Control Classification Number ("ECCN") for lpcopen.  Is that not the case?  Without such a classification, it sounds impossible to manufacture and ship gear containing LPC microcontrollers without running afoul of export control laws.

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

hi lrdoolittle

There is a way to find ECCN:
https://www.nxp.com.cn/docs/en/supporting-information/USER_CERT_2011_ECCN.pdf

But as I know, For Lpcopen or CodeWarrior Software Development and KDS etc there is not ECCN information or other equivalent.

For more information about export control classification number, please contact our Corporate Trade of Compliance team at ctc@nxp.com.

Have a nice day

Jun Zhang

0 Kudos

lrdoolittle
Contributor I

All this matches my understanding.  Still, I'm glad "my" lawyers can read a statement from someone other than me; of course, I'm not a lawyer, either.

I found other people posting copies on GitHub, so it doesn't seem like my organization would be breaking new ground.

Thanks for the replies!

0 Kudos

ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

I'm *not* a lawyer, so this is not a legal advice in any case

I think with what you mean with "export classification" is the "distribution rights".

You have to check and read the licensing terms for the parts you are interested in, as each file/part might have different terms.

//*****************************************************************************
// crp.c
//
// Source file to create CRP word expected by LPCXpresso IDE linker
//
// Copyright(C) NXP Semiconductors, 2013
// All rights reserved.
//
// Software that is described herein is for illustrative purposes only
// which provides customers with programming information regarding the
// LPC products.  This software is supplied "AS IS" without any warranties of
// any kind, and NXP Semiconductors and its licensor disclaim any and
// all warranties, express or implied, including all implied warranties of
// merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement of
// intellectual property rights.  NXP Semiconductors assumes no responsibility
// or liability for the use of the software, conveys no license or rights under any
// patent, copyright, mask work right, or any other intellectual property rights in
// or to any products. NXP Semiconductors reserves the right to make changes
// in the software without notification. NXP Semiconductors also makes no
// representation or warranty that such application will be suitable for the
// specified use without further testing or modification.
//
// Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
// documentation is hereby granted, under NXP Semiconductors' and its
// licensor's relevant copyrights in the software, without fee, provided that it
// is used in conjunction with NXP Semiconductors microcontrollers.  This
// copyright, permission, and disclaimer notice must appear in all copies of
// this code.

What you are looking for is the last part about 'distribute' which covers the 'export': check that header for the files you want to put on GitHub and use that with your lawyer. But from my point of view: as long as you are keeping that notice and do not violate the other terms, you can put it on GitHub. (legal notice at the start of my reply )

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi lrdoolittle

We don't have  "export classification" for lpcopen for 3rd parties. Besides, please be aware below statement regarding to NXP SW:

Information in this document is provided solely to enable system and software implementers to use
NXP products. There are no express or implied copyright licenses granted hereunder to design or
fabricate any integrated circuits based on the information in this document. NXP reserves the right to
make changes without further notice to any products herein.
NXP makes no warranty, representation, or guarantee regarding the suitability of its products for any
particular purpose, nor does NXP assume any liability arising out of the application or use of any
product or circuit, and specifically disclaims any and all liability, including without limitation
consequential or incidental damages. “Typical” parameters that may be provided in NXP data sheets
and/or specifications can and do vary in different applications, and actual performance may vary over
time. All operating parameters, including “typicals,” must be validated for each customer application
by customerʼs technical experts. NXP does not convey any license under its patent rights nor the
rights of others. NXP sells products pursuant to standard terms and conditions of sale, which can be
found at the following address: nxp.com/SalesTermsandConditions.
While NXP has implemented advanced security features, all products may be subject to unidentified
vulnerabilities. Customers are responsible for the design and operation of their applications and
products to reduce the effect of these vulnerabilities on customer's applications and products, and
NXP accepts no liability for any vulnerability that is discovered. Customers should implement
appropriate design and operating safeguards to minimize the risks associated with their applications
and products.

Hope this helps,

Jun Zhang

0 Kudos