cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using lpcxpresso with a lpc2458 custom board

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by pmorrell@1stdetect.com on Tue Mar 10 13:40:22 MST 2015
Hello,

We are wanting to switch over from Keil's IDE to LPCXpresso for some development work using the LPC2458 micrcontroller on a custom board.

I cant seem to be able to determine exactly what pod I need in download to the 2458 from the desktop.

I have been using keil's ulink2 with their IDE successfully, but I cant make it function with LPCXpresso 7.6.2. I have seen the webpage on stating CMSIS-DAP pods arent supported.

Is there another pod available that can be used with LPCXpresso to program the lpc2458 on our custom board?

thanks in advance.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Thu Mar 19 10:19:13 MST 2015
Unfortunately, the original LPC-Link does not support changes to wirespeed. You would need a Red Probe+ to be able to do this when debugging ARM7 parts.

It would be interesting to hear if booting your board into ISP mode before starting your debug connection helped or not though.

Regards,
LPCXpresso Support.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by pmorrell@1stdetect.com on Thu Mar 19 09:14:33 MST 2015
While I havent physically separated the two halves of the lpc1769 board, I have desoldered the bumps. I made a adapter cabled wired exactly like the EA jtag adapter board that is linked on the page you supplied.

As I said, I have seen the jtag connect twice, but nearly all of the time it can not make a connection. It acts like the TCK is too fast for the processor. Spec says it must be 1/6 of CCLK and CCLK after reset is 4Mhz. Looking at TCK with a scope shows it runs at 1Mhz, and thats 1/4 and not 1/6 of CCLK.

So my question is, is there a way to modify the jtag initialization script to have the TCK run at 500Khz?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by TheFallGuy on Thu Mar 19 08:09:17 MST 2015
The correct way to convert an LPCXpresso board into a standalone LPC-Link is described here:
http://www.lpcware.com/LPCXpressoV1Boards

Is this what you did? If not, try it!
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by pmorrell@1stdetect.com on Thu Mar 19 08:03:07 MST 2015
We have gotten an LPC1768 board and desoldered the bumps so it can be used as a standalone jtag debugger. I have actually gotten lpcxpresso to run a "hello world" program while debugging our custom board. Twice.

However...

99.9% of the time the debugger can't establish jtag communications with our board. A popup window will appear asking to select one of 7 jtag taps to use for debugging. All of the taps have 0x00000000 as their tap ID numbers.

Is it possible that lpcxpresso is trying to operate the jtag interface at too high of a frequency?
When I look at TCK on the 10 pin header it has a 1Mhz clock rate. The reason I ask is the lpc2468 comes up out of reset running on the internal rc clock at ~4 Mhz. The user guide for the lpc2468 specifies that TCK be 1/6 of CCLK and it is 4 Mhz after reset.

Is there a way to modify the debugger initialization script so the jtag TCK is 500Khz. instead of 1Mhz.?

Thanks.

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Fri Mar 13 01:52:07 MST 2015
For future reference, we now have an FAQ on which MCUs can be debugged with which debug probes under LPCXpresso IDE:

http://www.lpcware.com/content/faq/lpcxpresso/supported-debug-probes-mcus

Regards,
LPCXpresso Support
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Wed Mar 11 07:37:00 MST 2015
LPC-Link1 is not obsolete - the original LPCXpresso boards are still being manufactured and are widely available.

For general LPC MCU longevity information, please see http://www.nxp.com/techzones/microcontrollers-resources/product-longevity.html

Regards,
LPCXpresso Support
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by pmorrell@1stdetect.com on Wed Mar 11 06:35:42 MST 2015
hmmm well since both probes you suggest are obsolete, does that imply that the lpc2458 is going to be obsoleted as well?

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Tue Mar 10 14:57:23 MST 2015
LPCXpresso IDE only supports debug of LPC2000 parts using LPC-Link1 (or Red Probe+). Thus I'm afraid that you can't use an LPC-Link2 or any CMSIS-DAP probe.

Regards,
LPCXpresso Support
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by pmorrell@1stdetect.com on Tue Mar 10 14:05:34 MST 2015
I will add that I found this today....

Support for CMSIS-DAP in LPCXpresso

A variety of debug probes are now available that implement a CMSIS-DAP interface, either standalone or built into development boards. Connection to such probes is possible in LPCXpresso 6 via an additional Redlink protocol layer.

Can anyone explain to me how I can enable the  additional Redlink protocol layer?

Thanks.
0 Kudos