What are the differences of CMSIS and J-Link debuggers?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the differences of CMSIS and J-Link debuggers?

mh_n
Contributor III

Hello,

I am working with a board made internally with LPC54S016 and a MCU-Link Pro as the debugger probe.

I have noticed that when I use MCU-Link Pro with CMSIS debugger, I am able to load my program to flash and can confirm that after a power cycle, the program runs from flash; However, when using J-Link, in the MCUXpresso IDE I can see that the debugger does not stop in the beginning of the code and I simply cannot run my software on the board (power-cycling also seems to indicate that the software was not loaded onto flash)

My question is, what are the differences between CMSIS and J-Link that could cause such difference and where to start looking at to find a solution to this.

Thank you,

Mohammad

0 Kudos
5 Replies

ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

What you describe looks like the J-Link is configured for the wrong device. Can you check your J-Link debugger settings (launch configuration) if the correct device is specified. And check the console output if your device you expect is shown there too.

0 Kudos

mh_n
Contributor III

Hello @ErichStyger ,

Thank you for your reply,

You are right, I just found that it was configured for LPC54S018 while it should have been LPC54S016.

So I changed the device in J-Link debugger settings to the right device and I could still see LPC54S018 in the console, so I changed the MCU from the MCU settings in properties. (Now I can see the right device also in the console).

However,  I see an error "Could not connect to target" now (Screenshot below)

Thank you,

Mohammad

mh_n_1-1674408560002.png

RaRo
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @mh_n,

Could you please take a look at the following community post: Could not connect to target - NXP Community?

Also, might be good to reset the board, clean the project and build it again, before debugging.

Best regards, Raul.

0 Kudos

mh_n
Contributor III
Thank you for providing this link. I went through the points mentioned in that post and tried all software-related steps, but I the issue persists. (My assumption is that since the same project and board have no issues when using CMSIS, there should not be any hardware-related issue when using J-Link)
0 Kudos

mh_n
Contributor III

I also found a post (RT600 MCUXpresso JLINK debug QSPI flash - NXP Community) and was wondering if there is another one related to the LPC54S018-EVK or such board that I could make use of.

Thanks,
Mohammad