cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Occasional Programming failure in lpc54606 using lpc link2

hemanthvasista
Contributor IV

Hello 

I am using LPC54606 controller for project in custom board.

I am using LPC Link2 to program it using SWD.

Occasionally I have observed that even though programming is successful, the flash doesn't seems to be programed with required binary. 

How do I ensure that programming has actually happened? Because I see no error message while programming using LPC Link2 in MCUexpresso but the binary in flash in not the intended. 

When I try programming via USB ISP, I don't see the issue.

How do I ensure right binary is programed using LPC Link2?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies

frank_m
Senior Contributor III

The length of the JTAG/SWD wiring could be a problem as well.

Most Flash tools allow to config the bitrate in the setup, you could try to reduce it.

0 Kudos

hemanthvasista
Contributor IV

@frank_m

With just LPC Link-2 (no external power) if use the "Debug as MCUexpresso IDE Linkserver" it is able to program correctly.

But if I use GUI Flash Tool there are programming failure even when powered externally.

0 Kudos

converse
Senior Contributor V

I would still strongly suggest powering your board with an external power supply. It really is marginal when powering through LPC-Link2. The GUI flash programmer and the debugger both use identical methods to program the device - in fact it is the same executable in both methods, so it should not make any difference which programming method you use.

@frank_m suggestion about JTAG length maybe true, but I don't know of any convenient method to change the bitrate with MCUXpresso - I vaguely recall somebody mentioning that it was self-adaptive, but I could be mis-remembering.

0 Kudos

hemanthvasista
Contributor IV

@converse

I could see programming failures when done by GUI Programmer(with & without external power)

0 Kudos

frank_m
Senior Contributor III

>... but I don't know of any convenient method to change the bitrate with MCUXpresso ...

Me neither. My favourite toolchain (Crossworks) made project-specific debug adapter settings easy, including JTAG/SWD baudrates.

I find already the debugging interface cumbersome, especially the way to start a debug. I know, it's Eclipse standard. No big fan of Eclipse at all.

Taking a look at the MCUXpresso project debug settings, there is something :

frank_meyer_0-1613404307541.png

Might be worth a try.

I'm havinf no problems with my LPCXpressor board ...

0 Kudos

frank_m
Senior Contributor III

I agree, the power supply is the first suspect here.

Besides of stability and current limit, the buffer caps might be insufficient (too few, too far placed from the MCU, wrong types).

0 Kudos

converse
Senior Contributor V

I'd suggest checking your power supply - especially when programming with LPC-Link2.

0 Kudos

hemanthvasista
Contributor IV

The target is powered by LPC Link2.

0 Kudos

converse
Senior Contributor V

Use an external power supply. While plc-link2 can supply enough power to run the device it often cannot to flash it, which takes significantly more power - as I think you have found out.

0 Kudos

hemanthvasista
Contributor IV

With just LPC Link-2 (no external power) if use the "Debug as MCUexpresso IDE Linkserver" it is able to program correctly.

But if I use GUI Flash Tool there are programming failure even when powered externally.

0 Kudos

frank_m
Senior Contributor III

Bit rates might differ between both tools.

0 Kudos