Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPCXpresso IDE: IOException during Debug of Sample Project

Jump to solution
Anonymous
Deactivated User

Hello everyone,

I'm new to NXP microcontrollers and working with the LPCXpresso55S69-EVK. I am currently following the instructions on the "Get Started with the LPC55S69" site. My host system is Linux, but I am installing everything on a Windows VM with Oracle VM VirtualBox. There I have installed Windows 7 Ultimate.

So what I have done so far is everything from the videos:
1. Downloaded MCUXPRESSO SDK
2. Installed MCUXPRESSO IDE
3. Drag & Drop the SDK zip into the "Installed SDKs" windows
4. Installed LPCScrypt and updated the debug probe
5. Installed Tera Term as serial terminal
6. Chose the example project "Drivers > GPIO" like in the video
7. Built the project -> worked fine
8. Debug the project -> problem!

When I clicked on "Debug", I also got the first window "Probe Discovered" and clicked on "ok". But then I never saw the second window, where I could choose the core, and suddenly I got a lot of error messages (see below).

I tried plugging in and out the board, and restarting the IDE. But the error remains and I have no idea what the problem is.

Could anyone help/hint me please?

Error Messages:
1. Window: Target Discovery SWD Discovery
2. Window: MCUXpresso IDE: Exception (Error 1)
3. Window: Problem Occurred (Error 2)
4. Window: Error reported by Target (Error 3)

Message in Console:
MCUXpresso IDE RedlinkMulti Driver v11.2 (Sep 22 2020 13:23:35 - crt_emu_cm_redlink build 19)
Found chip XML file in C:/Users/lea/Documents/MCUXpressoIDE_11.2.1_4149/workspace/lpcxpresso55s69_gpio_led_output/Debug\LPC55S69.xml
( 5) Remote configuration complete
Reconnected to existing LinkServer process.
Connecting to probe 1 core 0 (using server started externally) reports:
'Ee(42). Could not connect to core.'
Retrying...
Reconnected to existing LinkServer process.
Server OK but no connection to probe 1 core 0 (after 3 attempts) - Ee(42). Could not connect to core.
Failed on connect: Ee(42). Could not connect to core.
No connection to chip's debug port

EDIT:
I don't know if this is relevant, but I saw, that the RedLink Server wants to use JTAG. but I thought it should use SWD. Or am I mixing something here?
This is the output:

[Started server]
[Connected on port 3025]
redlink> ProbeList
Index = 1
Manufacturer = NXP Semiconductors
Description = LPC-LINK2 CMSIS-DAP V5.361
Serial Number = ORA4CQFR
VID:PID = 1FC9:0090
Path = \\?\hid#vid_1fc9&pid_0090&mi_00#7&3a0fb07e&0&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}
redlink> ProbeStatus
Index = 1
Manufacturer = NXP Semiconductors
Description = LPC-LINK2 CMSIS-DAP V5.361
Serial Number = ORA4CQFR
VID:PID = 1FC9:0090
Path = \\?\hid#vid_1fc9&pid_0090&mi_00#7&3a0fb07e&0&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}
IsOpen = FALSE
WireInitialized = FALSE
WireProtocol = JTAG
CoresConfigured = FALSE
PacketSize = 1024
Reference Count = 0
HasSWV = FALSE
HasETM = FALSE
HasJTAG = TRUE
HasSWD = TRUE
Probe Type = CMSIS-DAP
Probe Reference Count = 0

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
converse
Senior Contributor V

VirtualBox is a decent VM but it’s USB emulation is poor. Basically it can’t cope with the high speed required of debugging.  As you are running in Linux, why not just use the Linux version of MCUXpresso?

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Ximena,

You can directly download and install Linux version MCUXpresso IDE:

https://freescaleesd.flexnetoperations.com/337170/687/17360687/mcuxpressoide-11.2.1_4149.x86_64.deb....

Regards,

Alice

Anonymous
Deactivated User

Hi Alice_Yang,

thanks for the link! When installing it on Linux, do I also have to do step 2.4 updating the debug probe firmware via LPCScrypt? Somehwere in video he said that some points are not necessary when using Linux.

0 Kudos
converse
Senior Contributor V

It is normally a good idea - it makes sure you have the latest version of the Debug Probe firmware.

converse
Senior Contributor V

VirtualBox is a decent VM but it’s USB emulation is poor. Basically it can’t cope with the high speed required of debugging.  As you are running in Linux, why not just use the Linux version of MCUXpresso?

Anonymous
Deactivated User

Hi converse,

thanks for your quick answer. Are you sure that this is the problem here? Could this be the reason that I cannot choose a core?

I wanted to use Windows as all the tutorials and side programs (like teraterm etc.) are for/with Windows. And I also worked with an eclipse-based IDE from TI (Code Composer Studio with an MSP430) on the VM, and it worked fine.

But ok, I guess it is worth a try to download it for Linux.

0 Kudos
converse
Senior Contributor V

Commercial VM's work well in all scenarios. VirtualBox works well - except for the USB.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Deactivated User

Ok, updated the debug probe firmware with LPCScrypt for Linux and tried the example gpio led program again (on Linux) and it is working fine!!

So it seems that the VM really was the problem - like you suggested. I was just confused as it worked so well with the MSP430 and CCS. But ok, I guess every MCU is different

Happy that it works now and thank you very much for your help!

0 Kudos