LPC1549 LQFP48 enters boot loader after reset if ADC0_4 is enabled on P0.4 (ISP_0) despite external pullup

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPC1549 LQFP48 enters boot loader after reset if ADC0_4 is enabled on P0.4 (ISP_0) despite external pullup

volkeroth
Contributor II

I ran into severe issues debugging and reprogramming lately, where MCUXpresso/LPC Link V2 failed with the error message "Cannot access core regs when target running" and also Segger a J-Link with Segger's own "Ozone" debugger failed to reprogram the CPU with diverse error messages. Actually, when performing a running reset in Ozone, my program didn't run anymore and when breaking, the PC pointed at a location in the bootloader. Actually, sometimes (but not always), the CPU obviously entered the USB bootloader. However, in my project, the two ISP pins P0.4/ISP_0 and P0.16/ISP_1 are both tied to the supply voltage externally.
So when investigating what happened there, I found that Pin0.4 was still reported low even though it was physically high. At some point I noticed that I erratically activated ADC0_4 (on P0.4) by clearing the according bit in PINENABLE0. When disabling this ADC input again, the pin level was correctly reported as 1 and also the debugging/reprogramming issues disappeared.
Now, while I can understand that the input latch of P0.4 is disabled if  ADC0_4 is activated and I'm aware that the switch matrix (PINASSIGN, PINENABLE) is only reset by a power on reset or brown out detection, I found this behavior to be rather surprising. When not even pulling up P0.4 externally during a reset prevents the CPU from entering the boot loader, using e.g. ADC0_4 on ISP_0 doesn't seem to be possible without disabling ISP altogether (through CRP/NO_ISP). I understand that some pin functions like the reset pin need to survive a running reset, but making the ADC input selection reset safe and thus damaging the ISP functionality seems like a strange design choice.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Alexis_A
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Dear Volker,

I also found this strange since the reset value that has at reset is Input. The state of the pins are checked before the pin configuration, this process can be seen in the reference manual, chapter 5.

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

There could be other reasons to explain this behavior. Could you see when this issue is presented? In the following table explain other reason why the issue could be present:

pastedImage_3.png

Let me know your findings.

Best Regards,

Alexis Andalon

0 Kudos

volkeroth
Contributor II

I don't feel the need to investigate any further as I think I fully understand what's happening there. There's just no rational reason to make an ADC selection reset safe (as you can't use an ADC pin directly after the reset anyway) and thus cripple the ISP. Personally, I would consider this a major design flaw. At least there should be a clear warning in the manual that configuring ISP pins as ADCs can potentially brick your project despite of external pullups unless you deactivate ISP permanently.
Then again, based on previous experiences, I don't expect any reaction from NXP. So at least I wanted to document it here in case someone else stumbles about this issue.

0 Kudos