How to select JTAG as debug port on LPC54S018M

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to select JTAG as debug port on LPC54S018M

belmontbob59
Contributor IV

I do not understand the wording in chapter 47 on how to select JTAG port for MCU debug at power up. How do I select JTAG port from hardware standpoint ? I do not understand how the boundary scan work to select SWD or JTAG for debug port. Please advise. thank you.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies

traciwhi975
Contributor I

The user is able to interface with the debugger through a command window on HyperTerminal. The debugging MCU is then able to control the target via the JTAG port. Our code running on the debugger sends a series of bits to the JTAG interface, which then stores it in the instruction / data registers of the JTAG. prepaidcardstatus.com

0 Kudos

converse
Senior Contributor V

LPC54 parts are based on Cortex-M4 which are SWD only for debug - there is no JTAG debug.

0 Kudos

belmontbob59
Contributor IV

Thank you for shedding some light on this; This is very confusing because Chapter 47 makes it sound otherwise (table 1118).

How do ISP_0 and ISP_1 come into play in SWD ? . i.e. how do they affect SWD functionality if SWD is the only option for LPC54xxx.See below:

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos

converse
Senior Contributor V

Table 1118 is describing Boundary Scan NOT Debug. The table is titled

"Table 1118. JTAG boundary scan pin description"

0 Kudos

belmontbob59
Contributor IV

Thank you. What is the purpose of boundary scan ? I understood this as a mean to auto detect at runtime if a JTAG probe is connected ?

0 Kudos

converse
Senior Contributor V

No, that is nothing to do with boundary scan. it is normally used in manufacture test See

Boundary scan - Wikipedia 

belmontbob59
Contributor IV

Thank you.

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi bob belmont,

Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and
for the opportunity to serve you.
Con Verse is right, the LPC54 parts don't support JTAG debug feature.
And the ISP pins won't affect the SWD feature actually.

Have a great day,
TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos

belmontbob59
Contributor IV

I disagree, ISP0 and ISP1 pin do affect SWD. As described in 47.6.2:

pastedImage_3.png

I use KEIL with ULINK2 on LPCXpresso54S018M via P1 (SWD). If I hold either SW4 (ISP0) or SW3 (ISP1) then power up or reset while keeping the switch pressed, then I can not access the MCU via the debugger. If I do the same experiment with SW2 (ISP2) then I can access the MCU via the debugger.

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply.
The voltage state of ISP pins will affect the boot sequence of LPC MCU, and they usually force the MCU to enter ISP mode. Overall, they're independent with the SWD port.
To provide the fastest possible support, I'd highly recommend you to review the section: Chapter 3: LPC54018JxM Boot ROM for non-secure devices in the UM11155.

Have a great day,
TIC

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos