Clock idle level on SPI port LPC54628 not correct during DMA?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clock idle level on SPI port LPC54628 not correct during DMA?

carstengroen
Senior Contributor II

Hello,

we have a design with a LPC54628. Flexcomm6 is configured for SPI Master and is basically working fine (using DMA transfers). However, when looking at CPOL/CPHA, there is something not quite right. During "normal" SPI read/write (setup of slave device etc) the clock idles low between transfers as it should, but once I start DMA, the clock line idles high. No matter if CPOL bit is set or not, the idle level of the SCLK signal is always high between DMA transfers. I have verified the contents of the CFG register and this is 0x05 (as expected) which is CPHA=0 and CPOL=0. Regardless of this, the clock line idles high between DMA transfers.

Whats going on ?

pastedImage_1.png

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Carsten,

I suppose that you clear the EOT bit in the FIFOWR register when you write the data to FIFO. For detailed information, pls refer to Table 465. FIFO write data register (FIFOWR - offset 0xE20) bit description in UM10912.pdf.

Especially section 26.6.14 FIFO write data register.

I suggest you try to set both EOT and EOF bits and set the TRANSFER_ DELAY in SPI Delay register as  non-zero value, then try to see the CLK logic.

Hope it can help you

BR

XiangJun Rong

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos

carstengroen
Senior Contributor II

xiangjunrong‌,

thanks for feedback, some success, but not quite there..... 

I tried setting:

masterXfer.configFlags = kSPI_FrameDelay | kSPI_FrameAssert;

when I start the DMA transfers, and:

SPI6->DLY=0x1111;

when initializing the SPI port. This seemed to work for a while, however, at some point I no longer get called back by the "DMA done", this happens after approx 4000 to 50000 DMA transfers ! Any idea whats wrong ?

pastedImage_2.png

Final code that I'm testing:

void initSPI6() {
    spi_master_config_t masterConfig = {0};

CLOCK_AttachClk(kFRO_HF_to_FLEXCOMM6); // Flexcomm6 uses FRO (48 MHz which is max for Flexcomm)

// reset FLEXCOMM for SPI 
    RESET_PeripheralReset(kFC6_RST_SHIFT_RSTn);
    SPI_MasterGetDefaultConfig(&masterConfig);
 masterConfig.polarity = kSPI_ClockPolarityActiveHigh; // CPOL=0
    masterConfig.phase = kSPI_ClockPhaseFirstEdge; // CPHA=0
    masterConfig.baudRate_Bps = 10000000; // 10 MHz clock (9.615 MHz)

SPI_MasterInit(SPI6, &masterConfig, CLOCK_GetFlexCommClkFreq(6));
 SPI_SetDummyData(SPI6, 0xFF);
 // See: https://community.nxp.com/message/1336345?commentID=1336345#comment-1336345
 // Code below is the same as: SPI6->DLY=0x1111;
 spi_delay_config_t dly_config;
 dly_config.frameDelay=1;
 dly_config.transferDelay=1;
 dly_config.preDelay=1;
 dly_config.postDelay=1;
 SPI_SetTransferDelay(SPI6, &dly_config);

}
‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

masterXfer.txData      = dmaTXBuff;  // Command in first byte!
masterXfer.rxData      = (unsigned char*)&(dataFIFO[0][0]); // (first) Buffer for data received
masterXfer.dataSize    = sizeof(dataFIFO[0]); // Number of bytes, each FIFO word is 7 bytes in size PLUS the one byte answer to the "read FIFO command"
// See https://community.nxp.com/message/1336345?commentID=1336345#comment-1336345
masterXfer.configFlags = kSPI_FrameDelay | kSPI_FrameAssert;

SPI_MasterTransferDMA(SPI6, &masterHandle, &masterXfer);
‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍
0 Kudos

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Carsten,

The DMA issue is another question, I think you can refer to the DMA register in debugger to get the cause.

BR

XiangJun Rong

0 Kudos

carstengroen
Senior Contributor II

Another issue or not, I'm not sure :smileywink:
It happens only when the EOT/EOF and DLY are used. The callback (IRQ) that should happen when the DMA finishes, is not coming. As I wrote, this can happen after 4000 DMA transfers or after 50000 transfers. If the EOF/EOT/DLY is not used, the DMA can run for millions and millions of transfers.

How these two things are related I don't (yet) know....

0 Kudos

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Garsten,

If setting the EOT/EOF bits can leads to DMA issue, so pls clear the bits as you had done. I do not think the high level of SCLK between two Bytes has any disadvantage if the data transferred is okay.

BR

Xiangjun Rong

0 Kudos

carstengroen
Senior Contributor II

This is also how we run the code in our tests now. But, it is a little worrying why the DMA stops with these 2 bits set, do you perhaps have time to do a test in your end ?

0 Kudos