Can a firmware upgrade be done and run new fw without resetting the LPC54102?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a firmware upgrade be done and run new fw without resetting the LPC54102?

ChrisDarrow
Contributor III

I would like to perform an in-application firmware upgrade on the LPC54102 and execute the new code without resetting the LPC54102. Is this possible? If not, the real desire is to keep the state of all of the GPIOs during the firmware upgrade and beginning execution of the new firmware.

Is it possible to upgrade the firmware in the background, remap interrupt vector table and whatever else is required, and begin execution of the new firmware without toggling the output states of the pins? If so, what is the detailed process by which I would need to do this.?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Chris Darrow,

Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and for the opportunity to serve you.

1) I would like to perform an in-application firmware upgrade on the LPC54102 and execute the new code without resetting the LPC54102. Is this possible?

Yes, it's possible, but you should consider the way to receive the new firmware, such through the USB, UART, I2C,etc.

2) Is it possible to upgrade the firmware in the background, remap interrupt vector table and whatever else is required, and begin execution of the new firmware without toggling the output states of the pins?

No, the upgrade job is not able to run in the background without interfering the application works, and you need to create the bootloader code to cover this job.

And I'd highly recommend you to refer to the attachment which demonstrate how to implements a secondary bootloader via the I2C/SPI bus.
Have a great day,
TIC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos