Can I use a single LPC-Link2 and program the LPC4370 on it?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use a single LPC-Link2 and program the LPC4370 on it?

Jump to solution
narenmekala
Contributor II

Hi,

I have a LPC-Link2 which I want to use as an evaluation board to program the LPC4370 present on it. The ultimate goal is to use the 12 bit ADC on the MCU and demonstrate sampling rates close to the maximum of 80 Msps offered. I have gone through the support forums and I am confused on using this.

The link below tells me that I can use a single Link2 to program the MCU:

LPC-Link2 | www.LPCware.com 

But in every other discussion I have come across, it is said that I will need two boards-one as target and other as the debugger. For example, see the below links:

How to use only one Lpc Link2 as an ADC  

Using the LPC4370 on the LPC-Link2 card 

Even Using an LPC-Link2 as an LPC4370 evaluation board  , which has been referenced in many forum discussions, is not very clear on using single LPC-Link2. It speaks about using two boards, but also has certain statements which makes me believe that I can use a single Link2.

I have tried running LED blink program using LPCXpresso v8.2.2 by connecting the Link2 to PC through the USB port(by clicking the RUN button). I did not get any error message but the program did not make the LED blink as coded. So perhaps the program did not run at all. Ofcourse trying to debug does not work, it gives the no JTAG device found error.

So,

1. Can I use single LPC-Link2 to program LPC4370 on it? If yes, then how (do I run a program on it using LPCXpresso)?

Thanking You

Naren

Labels (1)
1 Solution
lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

To carry out debugging, you will need a second LPC-Link2 (or another debug probe that is compatible with your toolchain). In other words, a single LPC-Link2 cannot act as its own debug probe.

But if you just want to run code on the target without having any ability to debug it, then you could use, for example LPCScrypt : LPCScrypt v1.8.0|NXP to download code over USB.

Regards,

LPCXpresso Support

View solution in original post

4 Replies
lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

To carry out debugging, you will need a second LPC-Link2 (or another debug probe that is compatible with your toolchain). In other words, a single LPC-Link2 cannot act as its own debug probe.

But if you just want to run code on the target without having any ability to debug it, then you could use, for example LPCScrypt : LPCScrypt v1.8.0|NXP to download code over USB.

Regards,

LPCXpresso Support

narenmekala
Contributor II

Thank You very much. This is what I needed to know. 

0 Kudos
avt
Contributor III

You need a 2nd lpc-link2 to program it. This is because the lpc device on the link2 is running the firmware needed to do the programming.

0 Kudos
narenmekala
Contributor II

Thank You A VT. 

Still, what they gave here LPC-Link2 | www.LPCware.com clearly states that I can use a single Link2 using DFUsec tool to load programs onto the board(Refer the "Using LPC-Link2 as an evaluation board" section at the bottom of the page). Can't I just stop the debug firmware from loading when I connect to my computer, by fitting JP1, and then somehow use it as target board?

0 Kudos