cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAN-FD Simultation with LPCXpresso54628 and OM13099

Neolinga
Contributor II

Hello all,

i have a question - and in the beginning i say sorry if i ask dumb questions. I am new to Micro Controllers and to the NXP Community/products also. But i want to learn - please be indulgent

Scenario:

I want to create a little CAN-FD simulation which is sending constant messages into an existing bus system (IDs are known and Datarate is 2Mbits). With buttons i want to change one or two values during power on.

With Google i found the combination of LPCXpresso54628 and OM13099 to get my plan running. 

So my question: Do i need an additional HW or SW to get this running or better - what else do i need here?

A subjective question: Do you think for somebody like me it is doable or is it too difficult? I have not that much experience with coding but CAN and electronics i know very good.

Which IDE i should use best here? The NXP SDK?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Neolinga

0 Kudos
9 Replies

Sam_B
Contributor I

I have doubts about the implementation of CAN with two LPCXpresso54628 boards. If someone could help me I will attach the post below.

Forum: LPCXpresso54628-Two-boards-CAN-Communication-MCUXpresso 

0 Kudos

Neolinga
Contributor II

Hello Omar

thank you alot for your reply!

Then based on your answer i can order the two products without any risk^^

Firstly i will try to bring it to life on my own. I am using a Vector VN1630 to check the counterpart if messages are recieved. Do i need a separate Debugger/Programmer like ST Link? 

If i have questions i will ask it in this post or should i create  a specific question? I am doing this for my company and I am not sure if i get it running on my own. Maybe i need the technial support from your side.

Best regards,

Neolinga

0 Kudos

Omar_Anguiano
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello

The board is comprised of target LPC54628 device with an onboard, CMSIS-DAP / SEGGER® J-Link compatible debug probe. The onboard probe is compatible with MCUXpresso IDE.
The board is also equipped with a standard 10-pin header enabling the use of 3rd party to debug probes.

If you have more questions you can post a question in the community or you can submit a ticket: https://www.nxp.com/support/support:SUPPORTHOME

Let me know if this is helpful.
Best regards,
Omar

Neolinga
Contributor II

Hello Omar and a good day,

i worked a few days now with the board. I am now more familiar with the IDE and tried a bit with FreeRTOS and GPIOs. Now i tried the Examples from the OM13094 bottom side (fd_loopback). The CAN-FD Loopback example should transfer the messages from CAN0 to CAN1 and the LEDs should blink. I connected both CANs with a 120Ohm in parallel. (Pin 2/7 on both DSUB sides). 

The example displays on Terminal Side (COM side) that no message is transfered and only LED1 on the board blinks permanently. 

I dont know what i am doing wrong here. Can you or somebody help me? Debugging/Building everything else worked. 

Thanks you a lot for your time and stay healthy

Best regards,

Nils

0 Kudos

Omar_Anguiano
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Nils

Hope you are well. I gladly help you with this.
I suggest you to remove the 120Ohm resistor, the shield already has the necessary components. Also, please make sure that the jumpers JP3,JP4,JP5 and JP6 are connected.
To install the Shield board, carefully align the J1 pin 1 of the Shield board with J9 pin 1 of the LPCXpresso board, and J3 pin 1 of the Shield board with J10 pin 2 of the LPCXpresso board.

I suggest you to use this video for reference: https://www.nxp.com/document/guide/get-started-with-the-om13094:NGS-OM13094

Let me know if this is helpful, if you have more questions do not hesitate to ask me.
Best regards,
Omar

Neolinga
Contributor II

Hello Omar,

yes I removed the resistor from the cable and already watched the video (Saw in schematic 120ohm already on Board). I followed every step in the video and also did a debugsession through the Loopback programm. All jumpers are connected. 

Thanks you for your help,

Best regards,

Nils

0 Kudos

Omar_Anguiano
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Nils

I replicated the example with wires since I don’t have db9 connectors. First I closed the jumpers to have a termination and wired the CANH and CANL. This worked well on my side, I suggest you replicate this with wires.
Your Db9 cable might not work as expected.

Omar_Anguiano_2-1623711357405.jpeg

Let me know if this is helpful, if you have more questions do not hesitate to ask me.
Best regards,
Omar

Neolinga
Contributor II

Hello Omar,

thank you alot for your patience I am glad to have such a good community here. 

I connected the board to another USB port and it works now... seems the USB HUB is facing some problems. But anyway the example runs. 

I connected CANoe to analyze the message in parallel and wanted to enter a static message from our DBC. I managed to find the configure values for the data rate, ID and DLC. But i dont know how to enter the Data values. In the DBC and CANoe i have the raw data values in this format (DLC=32)

{ 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x01, 0xFF, 0x01, 0xFF, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 };

Where can i enter this value for the message and in which format it has to be?

Thank you again for your patience... 

Another question - is there a way to pay for online support (of course with paying) or is the community forum the "only" way to get help here? I mean I want to give something back if you are supporting me. 

Best regards,

Nils

0 Kudos

Omar_Anguiano
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello

Hope you are well. I will gladly help you with this.
No additional HW is needed. Regarding the software I suggest the SDK; In the SDK you will find the drivers and examples to run the module: https://mcuxpresso.nxp.com/en/welcome

I suggest you use MCUXpresso IDE with LPC56428 SDK. The examples in the SDK are very helpful and can be used as starting point.  https://www.nxp.com/design/software/development-software/mcuxpresso-software-and-tools-/mcuxpresso-i...

Best regards,
Omar