download a program to external flash (hello_world_qspi)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

download a program to external flash (hello_world_qspi)

eyalbarzilay
Contributor I

Hi, I'm a user of KSDK 1.3 on the FRDM-K82f board. I use KDS as my toolchain. I've been using the QSPI driver successfully to read and modify external flash. Now for the first time I'm trying to run a program from the external flash. I decided to use the hello_world_qspi example as a starting point. However I can't find documentation on programming the external flash from the KDS. I see hints here and there like the .srec file and the .bd file inside the project folder and people have also been talking about a .sb file. I think this is relevant information but I can't find a documented procedure which ties all this info together and explains step by step how to download and run a program from external flash. Can someone point me to the right document?

Note: perhaps this is obvious but trying to download hello_world_qspi from KDS fails. The log clearly says that all code blocks in the address range 0x68xxxxxx failed verification. This tells me that the tools doesn't know how to program the external flash, at least not the way I use it.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Eyal

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

eyalbarzilay
Contributor I

Many thanks, Juying. Just for completeness I also want to add specifically for hello_world_qspi that it's documented in Kinetis SDK v.1.3 Demo Applications User's Guide which I earlier missed. I believe that it ties all things together including how to use the bootloader for the purpose of this exercise.

Regards,

Eyal

0 Kudos

juying_zhong
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Eyal,

About programming external QSPI, you could obtain some help from Kinetis Bootloader project delivered by NXP.

please search and download "NXP_Kinetis_Bootloader_2_0_0" from www.nxp.com.

This Bootloader had been solidified in ROM of K82 chipset.

About how to program QSPI, please refer to a document named "Kinetis Bootloader QuadSPI User's Guide.pdf" in "NXP_Kinetis_Bootloader_2_0_0".

Best regards,

Juying

0 Kudos