Can anyone help me get the power_manager_rtos_demo running with mqx-lite?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone help me get the power_manager_rtos_demo running with mqx-lite?

markdobrosielsk
Contributor II

No problem getting power_manager_rtos_demo_mqx running on a FRDM-KL43Z board, but when I try to use an mqx-lite configuration it crashes (jumps to the Reset Handler). To get it to build, I removed references to the mqx_stdlib and changed MQX_COMMON_CONFIG    to MQX_LITE_CONFIG in mqx_sdk_config.h. In main.c, I also had to bypass the ioctl call that disabled the stdin echo flag. I guess mqx-lite doesn't have ioctl?

Any thoughts?

My ultimate goal is to get the mower manager demo running under mqx-lite on a FRDM-KL27 board, but there's no demo project for the KL27 except bare metal.

I've attached a zip file containing the project for the FRDM-KL43Z. I've changed main.c and created a power_manager_rtos_demo_mqx-lite directory. I use IAR for my projects.

Original Attachment has been moved to: power_manager_rtos_demo.zip

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mark,

Can you post your project so others contribute?

Regards,

David

0 Kudos

markdobrosielsk
Contributor II

I've attached a zip file to my original post....

0 Kudos

DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mark,

I think there might be confusion as to what RTOS is running with the KL43 example/demo projects.

If the folder name says MQX...it should be MQXLite RTOS that is used since Kinetis L devices are not supported by MQX but only MQXLite.

So in your case you shouldn't have needed to make any changes to the C:\Freescale\KSDK_1.2.0\examples\frdmkl43z\demo_apps\power_manager_rtos_demo\power_manager_rtos_demo_mqx\kds project.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos

markdobrosielsk
Contributor II

David,

You'll find that the Kinetis L devices (we use the FRDM-KL43 and -KL27 boards for our initial development) can run both MQX and MQXLite. I know this because I've run a variety of the example projects with both. Mostly, all I needed to do was change MQX_COMMON_CONFIG  from MQX_SMALL_RAM_CONFIG  to MQX_LITE_CONFIG. Most of the time, main.c was written to handle either, with compiler switches to use main() rather than Main_Task() and other differences.

Having said that...

The out-of-the-box power_manager_rtos_demo_mqx uses MQX and works fine. When I try to build it with MQXLite it builds fine but crashes when I run it. If you - or anyone - has this demo running MQXLite on either board, I'd love to see it.

Thanks,

Mark

0 Kudos

DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mark,

I got additional verification you are correct and I just had missed the update that full MQX could be run on the Kinetis L devices with sufficient memory.

I've been on PTO much of the week and fighting email back log but will continue to dig into this issue of switching a MQX enabled example to a MQXLite example.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos

markdobrosielsk
Contributor II

Thanks, David, I appreciate the effort!

Mark

0 Kudos

DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mark,

Here is an update.  I have other that are going to help look at this too.

Summary:  Simple new projects that are created using KSDK+PE can switch between MQX and MQXLite as mentioned below.

With the non-PE example that is MQX based and links in various MQX Libraries, I'm partially successful but not fully yet.

Regards,

David

NOTES:

I ran the following test:

1. 1- Create frdmk64f_pe_mqx example   …note this uses MQX printf with fsl_uart…only printf works.
  2. 2- Create frdmk64f_pe_mqxLite example    …note this uses fsl_debug_console…can use printf or PRINTF

Add code so they both just to a printf to terminal.

Now to swap them so the frdmk64f_pe_mqx now becomes mqxLite.  fsl_debug_console gets added to project, have to update which UART pins to use and plug in 115200 baud. Re-generate code.

Only error was a couple of #includes needed to be commented out in the rtos_main_task.c

//DES commented out when converting MQX to MQXLite #include "uart1.h"

#include "fsl_mpu1.h"

#include "fsl_hwtimer1.h"

//DES commented out when converting MQX to MQXLite #include "MainTask.h"

#include "Task1.h"

Now to swap the frdmk64f_pe_mqxLite to become mqx.  fsl_debug_console gets automatically disabled.

Had to update baud and pins (I think).  Re-generate code.

Compiled clean.

For both, a couple of screens popped up to indicate what files were to be deleted and/or added by PE and I just clicked OK.

Summary:  To change a simple project from MQX to MQXLite or visa versa wasn’t just a click but it wasn’t to painful either.

Follow-up….maybe there is a difference between frdmk64f and frdmkl43z implementation????

Maybe a more complicated project like the power_managr_rtos_demo causes additional issues?  I did

Differences between newly created projects and the power_manager…. The newly created has all code in the project where power_manager app is linking to different mqx libraries.

Now playing with power_manager_rtos_demo_mqx application:

I’m finding that there are tweaks needed.

First and foremost you need to re-compile the libraries after changing the MQX_COMMON_CONFIG (yes it should be widely known but still getting used to KSDK MQX so I stumbled on this point).

There is information in the main.c to make changes to the Properties of the power_manager_rtos_mqx_frdmk64f:

/************************* Configure for MQX************************************/

#if (defined FSL_RTOS_MQX)&&(MQX_COMMON_CONFIG == MQX_LITE_CONFIG)

#if MQX_STDIO

#error "MQX Lite configuration is designed to work with tool provided STD Library.\

Remove reference to MQX STD library from your build tool project options:\

IAR:\

Linker->Library->aditional_libraries - remove lib_mqx_stdlib.a path \

C/C++ Compiler->Preprocessor->Additional include directories:    - remove mqx_stdlib \

\

KEIL: \

Linker->Misc controls   - remove lib_mqx_stdlib.lib path \

C/C++->Include Paths    - remove mqx_stdlib \

\

KDS: \

C/C++ Build\Settings->Cross ARM C Linker\Miscellaneous    - remove lib_mqx_stdlib.a path\

C/C++ Build\Settings->Cross ARM C Compiler\Includes       - remove mqx_stdlib (on 4th line)\

\

Atollic: \

C/C++ Build\Settings->C Linker/Libraries->Librarie search path    - remove lib_mqx_stdlib \

C/C++ Build\Settings->C Compiler/Directories->Include Paths       - remove mqx_stdlib \

CMAKE : \

Remove following lines from CMakeList.txt: \

INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES(${ProjDirPath}/../../../../../rtos/mqx/lib/twrk22f120m.armgcc/debug/mqx_stdlib) \

INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES(${ProjDirPath}/../../../../../rtos/mqx/lib/twrk22f120m.armgcc/release/mqx_stdlib) \

\

TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES(lpm_rtos_mqx ${ProjDirPath}/../../../../../rtos/mqx/lib/twrk22f120m.armgcc/debug/mqx_stdlib/lib_mqx_stdlib.a) \

TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES(lpm_rtos_mqx ${ProjDirPath}/../../../../../rtos/mqx/lib/twrk22f120m.armgcc/release/mqx_stdlib/lib_mqx_stdlib.a) \

."

#endif /* MQX_STDIO */

After doing this I could compile but it crapped out in the following IOCT call:

#if (defined FSL_RTOS_MQX) && (MQX_COMMON_CONFIG != MQX_LITE_CONFIG)       //DES??? If configure to MQXLite should this execute too? ...testing by adding "&& (MQX_COMMON_CONFIG != MQX_LITE_CONFIG)"

// In deffault, MQX enables echo flag for stdin.

// For power manager demo, disable MQX flag to doesn't echo character.

ioctl( 0, IOCTL_NIO_TTY_SET_FLAGS, NIO_TTY_FLAGS_EOL_RN); // 0 - stdin

#endif

So I just changed it (as shown) so the call wouldn’t happen.  Now I see terminal output but when the code to receive a character is called from getInput() the UART_DRV_ReceiveDataBlocking() function never returns.

EDITed:

Ok..I found a bug in the frdmk64f board.h.

Make this change and now my power_manager_rtos_demo_mqx_frdmk64f that was MQX OS is now running as MQXLite.

#define PM_DBG_UART_IRQn                UART0_RX_TX_IRQn//DES was UART1_RX_TX_IRQn

More later...

Ok...its later.

I was able to make the above changes to the power_manager_rtos_demo_mqx_frdmkl43z (a MQX application) to convert it into a MQXLite application.

I saw the issue of resetting that Mark had though.  I kept stepping into the code trying to find where it was breaking but found that if I stepped far enough, I could then run successfully to see the demo operate on the terminal.  But is a VLLSx was executed then it would freeze again.  POR and button reset would not get the app running.  I would have to step into the scheduler and then past the dispatch.S sched_internal label, I could run.

I have found a workaround that seems stable but I will have to ask the Kinetis L and MQX team respectively to give it a formal blessing.

WORKAROUND which keeps interrupts disabled until scheduler enables it later:

Open the mqx_frdmkl43z_all->PSP_Cortex->dispatch.S file.

/* set PSP = MSP */

mrs r0, MSP

msr PSP, r0

cpsie.n i */  /* enable interruprs */

Comment out line 102....it looks like the following.

/* set PSP = MSP */

mrs r0, MSP

msr PSP, r0

/* //DES commented out as a test 19-June-2015                cpsie.n i */  /* enable interruprs */

Obviously re-compile library and then application and now it should run in debugger and from POR or switch reset.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos