While flashing a KV31 with a J-Link, the KMS flash memory location was erased and the board will not connect to the Motor Suite.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

While flashing a KV31 with a J-Link, the KMS flash memory location was erased and the board will not connect to the Motor Suite.

Jump to solution
spencerpallas
Contributor II

Hey team,

The first question is why did the J-link debugging configuration override the KMS information on the flash memory? I know that with OpenSDA there is a setting for disabling mass erase but I did not see anything similar in the J-Link configuration settings.The second question is if there is any way for me to flash whatever it is that the KMS is looking for without having to ship my board somewhere? We will be using the KV31 chips on custom boards and it would be very useful if we could put the code on ourselves if anything like this was to happen during manufacturing or in the field.

Thanks for your help,

Spencer

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
philip_drake
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Spencer,

Are you using the jlink on a FRDM-KV31F board with the MBED OPENSDA loaded on it?  NXP will replace your MBED board if so.  Please let me know. 

The flash algorythms on the MBED OpenSDA still allow the IDE like KDS to mass erase the MCU, thus erasing the KMS.  That is the reason we moved to the OpenSDA bootloader and debug driver from P&E.  the JLINK OpenSDA is also a good choice since it will not normally do a mass erase, unless it detects the MCU is secure. 

Answer to second question.  The only location the KMS library is programmed is the factory.  You can obtain KMS enabled samples for your own local replacement at nxp.com on the KV31 page. Look for the part number with the P.

MKV31F512VLL12P

Best Regards,

Philip

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
philip_drake
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Spencer,

Are you using the jlink on a FRDM-KV31F board with the MBED OPENSDA loaded on it?  NXP will replace your MBED board if so.  Please let me know. 

The flash algorythms on the MBED OpenSDA still allow the IDE like KDS to mass erase the MCU, thus erasing the KMS.  That is the reason we moved to the OpenSDA bootloader and debug driver from P&E.  the JLINK OpenSDA is also a good choice since it will not normally do a mass erase, unless it detects the MCU is secure. 

Answer to second question.  The only location the KMS library is programmed is the factory.  You can obtain KMS enabled samples for your own local replacement at nxp.com on the KV31 page. Look for the part number with the P.

MKV31F512VLL12P

Best Regards,

Philip

0 Kudos
spencerpallas
Contributor II

Thanks for the responses Philip. We ended up purchasing a PEMicro Multilink in order to use OpenSDA and have had no issues thus far. It also makes sense that the library would be programmed at the factory, we were just hoping there would be an alternative repair if something was to happen on one of our PCBs so we wouldn't have to ship the boards.

0 Kudos
Hui_Ma
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi

If customer is using KDS IDE software? I double checked with KDS software team that, the KDS software doesn't support using J-Link tool do sector-to-sector erase and program feature. So far, KDS software only supports P&E tool with this feature.

About the second question, I am not quite understand. Customer looks for a way to make sure if KV31 chip KMS firmware had been erased or not? Please correct me if my understanding is right. Thanks.

Wish it helps.

Have a great day,
Ma Hui
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos