Processor Expert with FRDM KV31F

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processor Expert with FRDM KV31F

gianveglio
Contributor I

Can one add processor expert to a KMS solution in KDS.  Below is screenshot when I try.

If it is possible can anyone suggest the path one must take to achieve this.  Unfortunately the path will have to be very step by step as I am finding KDS incredibly unforgiving.  For instance the first error below is :

"Description    Resource    Path    Location    Type
ERROR: This component is not supported in Kinetis SDK project mode    FRDMKV31F_SNLESSVEL_KDS        GPIO1    Processor Expert Problem"

What is the component referred to here? How does one fix the Error.  All I did to generate the error was right click on ProcessortExpert.pe and asked to generate.  So far, I have not added any modules to the project.  These existed in the project without my input.

All the tutorials I have found are based on non-current software. ie. not KDS3.2 and not KDSK 1.3. 

pastedImage_8.png

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello gian veglio,

Your error means you select the wrong component, it is not for KV31 chip.

I have helped you create one project, you can refer to it, in the attachment.

You should select the component in the following list:

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos

gianveglio
Contributor I

Hi Kerry

I don’t know if you have time to help. If so I am finding the environment extremely difficult to understand. Coming from a long microchip experience this is very foreign to me.

I seem to break everything the moment I install the KDSK_eclipse update. From then on I get errors when compiling even on a brand new workspace. I am using KMS and the main reason I switched to NXP is because KMS seems great. But I can’t just run KMS. I have other functionality that needs to be added to the processor, such as 3 phase thyristor bridge, protection, HMI etc. It is for the extra functionality that I wanted to use processor expert as a way of adding to the kms project.

My question is – could you – or somebody, run teamviewer on my machine to see where I am going wrong. Alternatively, maybe a chat would be quicker than emails. I am slowly getting desperate.

Thank you in anticipation.

Gian

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Gian,

If you have problem on your side, just post some screen shoot to us, then we will help you to check it.

Just description is not enough.

Give me more details about your KM project questions.

About the build problem, please don't select the workspace folder in the existing project path, workspace and project path need to be different.

Have a great day,
Kerry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

gianveglio
Contributor I

Hi Kerry

Thanks so much for the offer. I am going to start at the beginning. I run KMS. Everything does make sense. Then I import the project into KDS as per below screenshot.

I have a number of X’s. I tried project->index->rebuild and various other variations. Xs remained. Then I closed and opened KDS. The X’s have disappeared. There are still some yellow bugs which disappear after the first build.

Question – why does the preprocessor not pick up the references to the variables? I assume that the pre-processor is generating the X’s?

Also, there in longer an option to do a debug build, only release. The project now compiles OK.

Question – does the above matter? I think it may affect the debugger as, once again I am assuming, the debugger build would have less optimisation than the release code and so, when stepping through code in release, one could miss some steps.

Question. When I modify an include file, eg hw_pins_init.h and do a build, the file is not automatically saved. Is this a mistake in my settings or how eclipse is set up? Quite often one forgets to save the relevant files manually.

Question. This is probably the most important one. Can I use processor expert on a KMS generated project?

Question. Can I run MCUXpresso with KMS?

Question. Can I run a MCUXpresso generated SDK with KMS?

Question. Can I add RTOS to a KMS project?

On all the above I am happy to go and study if you tell me they can be done and where the app notes for the relevant topic are. There is another question further down which did set me back a long time as I tried to resolve what turned out to be a non-existent error. It is above the 3rd screen shot.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Gian

Screen shot of project after I have closed and reopened KDS. Nothing else was done.

Then I added a port pin to the project by copying the LED output syntax. Everything is in place and once properly built I see it does what is expected. I got stuck here previously because I thought the X meant something was really wrong.

Question. How do I get rid of the Xs. They are confusing, especially when debugging as there are then multiple symbols on one line.

0 Kudos

linestream-adam
Senior Contributor I

gian veglio wrote:

Question – why does the preprocessor not pick up the references to the variables?  I assume that the pre-processor is generating the X’s?

I've seen this as well.  I'm not sure why the preprocessor / indexer in KDS does this.  It does not appear to impact the build but I agree that it is confusing.

gian veglio wrote:

Question – does the above matter?  I think it may affect the debugger as, once again I am assuming, the debugger build would have less optimisation than the release code and so, when stepping through code in release, one could miss some steps.

The Debug vs Release is simply a label within KDS, and therefore it doesn't matter.  In the reference project configuration full optimization is setup and it is compiled with the NDEBUG preprocessor flag, so it should not have impact on the debugger and will compile the same as if we were to create a Release configuration.

gian veglio wrote:

Question.  When I modify an include file, eg hw_pins_init.h and do a build, the file is not automatically saved.  Is this a mistake in my settings or how eclipse is set up?  Quite often one forgets to save the relevant files manually.

This is typical of Eclipse-based IDEs.  I end up clicking Save All far more than is probably required.

gian veglio wrote:

Question.  This is probably the most important one.  Can I use processor expert on a KMS generated project?

I have not tried to use Processor Expert generated code with a KMS project.  I don't see why it wouldn't work but I have not tried it.

gian veglio wrote:

Question. Can I run MCUXpresso with KMS?

The current version of KMS does not support MCUXpresso.  This will be supported in a future version of KMS, intended release date is in Q4 2017.

gian veglio wrote:

Question. Can I run a MCUXpresso generated SDK with KMS?

KMS only supports KSDK v 1.3 which is the version before MCUXpresso-generated SDKs.  MCUXpresson-generated SDKs will be supported in the next version.

gian veglio wrote:

Question. Can I add RTOS to a KMS project?

I don't see any reason why not.  Ideally you would ensure that the motor control ISRs are not controlled by the RTOS and are instead left to the configured timing in the project.

0 Kudos

gianveglio
Contributor I

Hi Adam

Thanks for the answers. They don’t make me happy but at least I now don’t have to burrow through a lot of settings to find something that is not there.

Another question then. Do you guys use the SDK for your code. Looking through the disassembly of the kv31F with kms it looks incredibly inefficient. There may be levels of the sdk but what I specifically looked at was toggling a port pin using the same code that KMS uses for the LEDs. It takes probably 100 instructions to do this which is obviously not going to work in a real time application. Unless you are doing something simple like toggling an LED when speed is of no relevance.

Ciao

Gian

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Gian,

Processor expert is easy to use, but the according code size is large, the code efficiency is low, all these are the PE character.

If you very care about the code execution efficiency, I don't suggest you to use the PE.

About the code, you still using the KSDSK1.3, it is very old now.

Please download the newest KSDK2.2 for KV31, you can download it from this link:

Welcome to MCUXpresso | MCUXpresso Config Tools 

Choose KV31 chip, and build an SDK, then generate the code and download it.

Have a great day,
Kerry

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

linestream-adam
Senior Contributor I

Gian,

I would not advocate downloading KSDK 2.2 and using that with Kinetis Motor Suite.  KMS only supports KSDK 1.3 as of the most recent version.  KSDK 2.2 will be supported in a future version.

gianveglio
Contributor I

Hi Kerry

Thanks for feedback. I did see that the code from PE was huge and slow. (Single stepping through the disassembly code.) Unfortunately I cannot use KDSK2.2 as I am using KMS which, according to NXP, does not run with MCUExpresso or the latest SDKs.

So, if you don’t use PE do you set up all the registers yourself? I used to manually set up the registers with Microchip but the arm processors are a lot more complex and I would like to have some software do most of the set up for me.

Bye

Gian

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Gian,

Please tell me the full name of your chip?

Then I will help you to check whether there have any bare mental drivers.

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos

gianveglio
Contributor I

Hi Kerry

I am using the MKV31F512LL12P. It is on the FRDM-KV31F development board. I guess from what you wrote that the way to go is to use bare metal drivers. I guess that these drivers don’t add as much overhead as PE.

Thanks for your help.

Gian

0 Kudos

gianveglio
Contributor I

Hi Kerry

Thanks for the reply. I will give that a try.

Bye

Gian

0 Kudos