cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KMS or MCRSP_PMSM

peterkostadinov
Contributor III

Hello,

I'm just starting to deal with the FOC and the tools offered by Kinetis, and I'm still not aware of how to properly use them. I noticed that there are two possible sources of sample projects - "Kinetis Motor Suite" and "PMSM Control Reference Solution Package". Which one is recommended for a start or it depends on some considerations that I do not know for now. What I notice is that "PMSM Control Reference Solution Packages" uses FreeMaster, while "Kinetis Motor Suite"  uses "Remote Debug Agent".

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies

David_King
Contributor I

Philip,

I note your indication that 'we’re no longer licensing the 3rd party IP that was part of our KMS offering'. Does this mean KMS is no longer available? From what I gather, KMS was needed for sensored control (hall/encoder), whereas MCRSP_PMSM supports just sensorless (observer) control. If KMS is indeed no longer available, may I ask how I can make use of the Hall sensor inputs of the FRDM-MC-LVPMSM? And how the MCAT Sensor tab Hall section, can now be used? Ideally infact, I would like to explore Hall sensor use up to a certain speed, then switchover to sensorless control.

Best regards,

David

0 Kudos

philip_drake
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

NXP recommends PMSM Control Reference Solution Package. nxp.com/motorcontrol_pmsm

Depending on your Microcontroller interest, There are several reference designs (Sensorless PMSM Control Design DRM148) and application notes ( PMSM Field-Oriented Control on MIMXRT10xx EVK  AN12214) that you can read.  Go to nxp.com/motorcontrol_pmsm and under the documentation tab are a number of links you can use. 

You can start by using MCUXpresso IDE , the KVxx and RT1050, RT1060 or RT1020 SDKs. when build make sure to include the motor control middle-ware.  The demos can get you started with motor control.

The next step is to get the PMSM reference design software from here and the FreeMaster tool here  These installations still rely on the Kinetis Design Studio IDE.  These are being ported to the latest IDE MCUXpresso later this year.

• 3-Phase Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor (PMSM) Control Reference Design
  • The 3-Phase Permanent Magnet Synchronous (PMSM) Motor Control Reference Design is based on Kinetis® V Series MCUs and intended to provide the example for 3-phase sensorless PMSM motor control solutions. The Reference design utilizes closed-loop field oriented vector speed (FOC) control mechanism.

- We’re no longer licensing the 3rd party IP that was part of our KMS offering.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Philip

sunita0685
Contributor I

Hi,

I have purchased  FRDM-KV31F  board and MC-LVPMSM board along with the 24V motor.

I have download MCRSP_PMSM_V1.2.0 and able to run the 24V motor. I have done this with IAR workbench. Now i want to do the same thing with MCUXpresso 11.2.0. 

Please guide me how to find the MCUXpresso based project in the folder. I can see IAR,KDS and MDK folders, please suggest is KDS folder is for MCUXpresso, or how can I get run the motor with MCUXpresso or associated files and use the same with MCAT interface tool.

Regards,

Sunita

0 Kudos

jack_zmh
Contributor II

Hello, when I built the SDK, I include the motor control middle-ware. But after the SDK built, the component is NONE. Is the middle-ware not available now?

0 Kudos

philip_drake
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Jack,

Which MCU and which eval board are you building the SDK for?  The motor control is included with the SDK's built for NXPs evaluation hardware.

Regards,

Philip

0 Kudos

jack_zmh
Contributor II

Hello Philip,

I find that the SDK builder is not compatible with Internet Explorer. When I use Edge to open the SDK builder, I can select the middle-ware. But  Individual middleware selection is unavailable.

Edge.JPG

0 Kudos

jack_zmh
Contributor II

Hello Philip,

Please try LPCXpresso55S69.

If I start from "Select Board", I can't select toolchain and middle-ware.

1.JPG

If I start from "Explore", I can select toolchain and middle-ware. But the SDK won't include any middle-ware which I select.

2.JPG

3.JPG

0 Kudos

philip_drake
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

But you were finally able to get what you need, yes?

Thanks for the information. I'll let the web team know.

Regards,

Philip

0 Kudos

jack_zmh
Contributor II

Yes. I got it from the full SDK pack. Thank you.

0 Kudos

peterkostadinov
Contributor III

Hi Philip,

Thank you very much for the clarification.

Best Regards,

Peter

0 Kudos