KMS discontinued :-(

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KMS discontinued :-(

petersch
Contributor I

I have just finished a design SW+HW based on the Kinetis Motor Suite and to my surprise it is now announced the KMS is no longer supported and that distribution of the MCU with KMS pre-programmed is discontinued :-(

My question basicaly is: Is it posible to get the KMS library as a Binary or other form so that we can program it into our micro?

Maybe it is not to me to know but please can you tell why KMS is discontinued while in my opinion it is a very good tool/application?

I am aware of the availability of other refference designs but non of them working so fine as KMS and it will cost me a lot of time to get it at the stage where I am now with the KMS based aplication I have made including an interface to the external world.

Finaly I am aware of the fact that I should leave KMS. Can you tell me what refference design (example) best suited to replace KMS and supports PWM frequencies upto 20kHz?
Till now I only found KMS supporting PWM frequencies upto 20kHz or higher.

Are ther more refference designs upcomming like AN12374 for the KV31 micro? And/or can the PWM frequency made easily adjustable to any frequency I like. A maximum of 10kHz is realy to low because many people can hear the sound and the cat/dog got wild :-)

With best regards, Peter
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

petersch
Contributor I

Hi Philip,

Thanks for the response and asnwers

I think converting the project makes no sense. KMS is not avaiable any more and the part I have added to interface with the external world should not be such issue. It is just a shame that KMS cannot be used anymore. It was a very flexible and well-structured software package with tools to make a start for an FOC project.

When started I check other reference designs but non was working well at that time and had limitations in changing the PWM frequency. Secondly Freemaster and MCAT was not working well or had severe limitations.

If there are new developments for refference designs I would like to hear more about this. So I will be hopefully waiting for the new SDK.

Please can you tell me if there are developments to put more flexiblity and tunning functionality in the refference designs as is was avaiable in the KMS tool?

The implementation I have is a sensored and sensorless FOC current (torque) controlled PMSM motor driver for which we use an external PWM signal to set the current value a direction signal for the sign of the current (pos or neg) and an enable signal to enable the driver. The current regulator is now set for a bandwidht of 1kHz

If there is any refference design that matches this or should be possible to use to make this I would be very please to hear off.

Learning Freemaster and MCAT should not be such an issue and necessary.

I downloaded application AN12374SW yesterday (which was relative new) installed it and got it running relative quickly (i am hopeful). It worked better and easier as in the passed.

Can you tell me if I can change the PWM frequency from 10 to 20 kHz with impunity without having to make adjustments to the rest of the framwork (ADC measurements)?

Regards, Peter

Yesterday I downloaded

0 Kudos

philip_drake
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I heard the SDK will be release very soon. The new IDE has been released as I said.  Included in the IDE is the PINS tool, which can be used to modify the reference design pin usage.  Very handy.

My understanding is that changing the fast loop frequency is an very direct change and there are not other changes to the framework you need to do.

M1_PWM_FREQ is the macro you need to change to go to 20 Khz.  If you search for this term you will find that the macro is in file mcdrv_frdmkv31f.h.  For your custom board this is one of the files you would want to audit and modify according to the new pin usage.  Did you make any changes in your custom hardware from the FRDM board design?  Depending on the FET usage you can change the deadtime value as well.

Regards,

Philip

petersch
Contributor I

Hello Philip

Yes there are some changes in the custom hardware but not on the essential control functions (PWM, encoder/hall input's and current sensing inputs). I am familiar with the pins tool, already used it to make changes for the KMS project that was used to add pins.

I am going to give it a try.

Thanks,

Peter

0 Kudos

philip_drake
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Great.  Please keep us up to date on your work and let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Philip

0 Kudos

philip_drake
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I'm sorry you have to make this change so late in the development process.  

How can we assist you in converting your project over to NXP's reference design?

The binary is not available to anyone.  

There are reference design being delivered with the release of the version 2.6 SDK which happens this month. This version of the SDK needs MCUXpresso version 11.0.x that was just release this week. 

All of the MC projects are supported by Freemaster and MCAT.  you will need to learn

Regards,

Philip Drake

M_Grillo
Contributor III

Hi Phillip,

Investigating MCAT along with AN12374SW for the KV31 I have come across an issue with "M1 Encoder Direction". MCAT is looking for "g_sM1Enc.bDirection" but no symbol is found. I did a file search for the variable in the MCUXpresso workspace but didn't come up with that var name or any encoder direction attribute in any encoder structure. Am I missing something? I'm assuming it was intended to be defined as : 

this->bDirection = (FTM2->QDCTRL & (FTM_QDCTRL_QUADIR_MASK | FTM_QDCTRL_TOFDIR_MASK)) & 0x04;

then add the address and variables MCAT and source project.

Thanks,

Mark

0 Kudos

philip_drake
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I confirmed your findings.  even after I changed the #define in the file m1_sm_sensored.h

#define SENSOR_ENC 1 /* Position quadrature encoder control flag */
#define SENSOR_HALL 0 /* Position quadrature encoder control flag */

I set up a Anaheim 24 V motor with a 2000 count encoder and was able to run it very slow speeds.

But when I tried to follow the  Application note section 9.3.5 I could not find the Encoder Direction Scope in the Scalar & Voltage Control project tree.  

I will need to ask the project designer and get back with you. peter.bulka‌ can you help?

Regards,

Philip

0 Kudos

petersch
Contributor I
  • Hi Philip,

Thanks for the response and answers

Its possible you have this message for the second time. I am not sure if everything went okay on the community site.

So just to be sure I also replied on the email.

I think converting the project makes no sense. KMS is not available anymore and the part I have added to interface with the external world should not be such issue. It is just a shame that KMS cannot be used anymore. It was a very flexible and well-structured software package with tools to make a start for an FOC project.

When started I check other reference designs but non was working well at that time and had limitations in changing the PWM frequency. Secondly Freemaster and MCAT was not working well or had severe limitations.

If there are new developments for reference designs I would like to hear more about this. So I will be hopefully waiting for the new SDK.

Please can you tell me if there are developments to put more flexibility and tuning functionality in the reference designs as is was available in the KMS tool?

The implementation I have is a sensored and sensorless FOC current (torque) controlled PMSM motor driver for which we use an external PWM signal to set the current value a direction signal for the sign of the current (pos or neg) and an enable signal to enable the driver. The current regulator is now set for a bandwidth of 1kHz

If there is any refference design that matches this or should be possible to use to make this I would be very pleased to hear off.

Learning Freemaster and MCAT should not be such an issue and necessary.

I downloaded application AN12374SW yesterday (which was relative new) installed it and got it running relative quickly (i am hopeful). It worked better and easier as in the past.

Can you tell me if I can change the PWM frequency from 10 to 20 kHz with impunity without having to make adjustments to the rest of the framework (ADC measurements)?

Regards, Peter

With kind regards,

Peter Schrijnewerkers

R&D | Electronics Development 11

+31 6 2570 0706 <Océ mobile number>

+31 77 359 2279 <Océ phone number>

peter.schrijnewerkers@oce.com<mailto:peter.schrijnewerkers@oce.com>

<https://www.oce.com> Océ-Technologies B.V.

P.O. Box 101, 5900 MA Venlo

Sint Urbanusweg 43, 5914 CA Venlo

The Netherlands | www.oce.com<https://www.oce.com>;

Trade register: 12002662

This message and attachment(s) are intended solely for use by the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or agent thereof responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone or with a 'reply' message and delete the message and its attachment(s), if any, from your system(s). Thank you for your co-operation.

0 Kudos