Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FRDM-KV31F boards with erased KMS library

Jump to solution
PavelM
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Customer have a couple of FRDM-KV31F boards with erased KMS library.

Is it possible to re-flash MKV31F512VLL12 on board with KMS library without sending it out to NXP?

If it requires NDA or other contract, I would be happy to sign it.

Have a nice day.

Labels (1)
1 Solution
xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Pavel,

As far as I know that that the KMS code is third party code, it is written to flash in factory. If you erased the KMS code by mistake, we can not help you reprograme it because we have not the binary code of KMS either.

Sorry for not helping you.

BR

Xiangjun Rong

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jonafischer
Contributor I

If the code is propietary, why not using a ROM to store that library (as TI does with their piccolo InstaSPIN devices)? I'm another stupid who deleted the KMS library without knowing (by using a board with MBED fw on the opensda interface)...

0 Kudos
philip_drake
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Jonatan,

Sorry to hear that you messed up your KMS enabled part with the MBED fw. I've been working tirelessly to try to eliminate this trouble. If there is anything NXP can do to assist please let us know.

You have a good point.  A ROM would be ideal for this application. However, NXP had developed the MCUs prior to the availablity of the KMS library and the MCUs did not include a ROM

The IP we used:

• NXP has implemented IP in the MCU (MCU features) that enable customer to use secured code, marked as execute only.  
  • The feature on the MCUs that enable this option is call flash access protection (FAC). 
  • Any code placed in the flash can be protected from being read through any means by setting the Flash access control bits. 
  • The NXP system architects chose to offer the KV series that had FAC with the option of using KMS. 

Mass Erase Protection: Please see the MKV RM for more information on these features!

• With the introduction of KMS we saw the need to protect the MCU flash from mass erase and made some IP improvements to enable this. 
  • The KV series MCUs shipped after ww14 of 2016 have an added feature to prevent mass erase of the flash even when the MCU is not-secured.
  • This means that the FSEC bits in the FPROT registers of the flash don't come into play when the MCU is enabling or disabling mass erase. 
  • The MEEN bits in the FSEC register can be set to 'b10, thus preventing the mass erase of the MCU's flash. 
  • CAUTION: As always when you secure the MCU and disable Mass Erase, the MCU flash is locked down and cannot be accessed.  The only way you can get back into the flash is to enabled another flash option called the Back Door Access. .

KMS Reference Project Protection Option:

• This setting is available in the flash config of the KMS reference projects. 
  • You can change a #define to engage this protection.
  • It is not engaged as a default because the tools did not properly respond to the setting of the MEEN bits

Tools:

• The tool vendors included Segger, IAR, P&E as well as the OpenSDA MBED firmware that was previously supplied  did not handle the mass erase protection IP very well at first.  In fact, it is only with the latest release of P&E firmware updates and eclipse plug-ins, that the mass erase is prevented.

Best Regards,

Philip Drake

Senior Systems Applications Engineer

NXP Semiconductor

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Pavel,

As far as I know that that the KMS code is third party code, it is written to flash in factory. If you erased the KMS code by mistake, we can not help you reprograme it because we have not the binary code of KMS either.

Sorry for not helping you.

BR

Xiangjun Rong

0 Kudos