Drag and drop flash from KMS1.2.0 projects

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drag and drop flash from KMS1.2.0 projects

kubanb
Contributor III

I recently updated KMS to 1.2.0. Because KDS was not an option as an IDE, I also updated to MCUXpresso and the latest SDK.  After some fixes, I now have my old projects from KMS 1.0 and KDS working on the upgraded software, except that the generated binary files (*.bin, *.srec, *.s19) do not load the program onto my FRDM-KV31F board when dragged and dropped anymore.  I can still load the binary files from my old projects, but not binaries from the new ones.  The flash tool in MCUXpresso does program the FRDM-KV31F with the generated *.elf or *.axf file, but I really would like the drag and drop flashing to work.  Any help?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

philip_drake
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

When building the SDK you need to include the motor control demos by "Add Software Component" button before just you do a download. After that click on "add middleware" button, then use the select all to get the available components.

You might not have done that when you built the SDK.   

Philip

0 Kudos

kubanb
Contributor III

Ah yes, I did not select any middleware to add. I will do that right away, and then try the motor control demos, thanks!

Barry

0 Kudos

philip_drake
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Please try to update the P&E OpenSDA firmware on the KV31 board to the latest. see www.pemicro.com/opensda.

The only reason I can think that the drag and drop was not working is that the target MCU is blank and is resetting all of the time.  In this case you may be able to use the MCUXpresso IDE and load a test program like Hello World into the MCU to keep it from resetting.

What will be your use case for motor control.  Can you work with the SDK motor control demos to make your application?

Regards,

Philip.

0 Kudos

kubanb
Contributor III

Philip,

Thanks for your help! I don’t know about the “SDK motor control demos”. My project is based on a KMS reference project that I have extensively modified. I am using MCUXpressoIDE_10.3.0_2200 and SDK_2.5.0_FRDM-KV31F. I don’t see any motor control demos in the SDK.

Barry

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos

FelipeGarcia
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Barry,

Are you generating the new binary files? Please check the following post to see the different ways to create them:

MCUXpresso IDE: Creating Binary Files (S-Record, Intel Hex, Binary)

Also, what is the error that appears when you try to flash the binary into FRDM-KV31F?

I am using FRDM-KV31F and PEMicro OpenSDA firmware version 1.18 and I am able to drag and drop the binary files in order to flash the board.

Best regards,

Felipe

0 Kudos

kubanb
Contributor III

I don’t get an error. When I drag the file into the FRDK-KV31 folder, it shows up in the folder (works as MSD) but it just doesn’t load it into flash.

Barry

0 Kudos

philip_drake
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Drag and Drop programming will work with a .srec or .bin type file.  file the .axf file, right mouse click and choose the binary tool and create a .bin.  You can drag and drop these files.  

- NXP no longer licenses the 3rd party IP that was part of our KMS offering.

- Our ability to support customers on that platform is severely compromised

- We recommend all customers to transition onto NXP owned enablement/IP.

You will be able to run your motor but not with the KMS tools and software.

With the boards you have you can still drive your motor fairly easily.

You can start by use MCUXpresso IDE , the KVxx SDK and the motor control middle-ware.  The demo will get you started with motor control.

The next step is to get the PMSM reference design software from here and the FreeMaster tool here  These installations still rely on the Kinetis Design Studio IDE.  These are being ported to the latest IDE MCUXpresso later this year.

• 3-Phase Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor (PMSM) Control Reference Design
  • The 3-Phase Permanent Magnet Synchronous (PMSM) Motor Control Reference Design is based on Kinetis® V Series MCUs and intended to provide the example for 3-phase sensorless PMSM motor control solutions. The Reference design utilizes closed-loop field oriented vector speed (FOC) control mechanism.

Regards,

Philip

0 Kudos

kubanb
Contributor III

Please see my comments below.

0 Kudos