minimum Pin requirement for KL03Z

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

minimum Pin requirement for KL03Z

benoitverdin
Contributor II

Hi, I'm using the KL03Z MCU for one of my project. As space is very limited on the board, i want to keep pin count to a minimum.

So my question : is it possible to program the MCU using only VCC, GND, SWDIO and SWCLK pins? I have seen that FRDM boards and OpenSDA use reset line for Debug and does not seem to work without it connected. Any idea which debugger i could use working with the minimal SWD configuration specified in de documentation : "2-pin serial wire debug (SWD) provides external debugger interface" found here

regards,

Ben

4 Replies

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ben,

the reset is needed to my understanding to halt the CPU and to talk to it out of power-on reset. Otherwise the debug interface might not be able to halt the core our of reset and talk to it. That's especially a need if going into low power mode or if you decide later to use the SWD pins for other purposes.

Erich

benoitverdin
Contributor II

Hi Erich,

Thank you for your reply. So debug is not possible without reset line... I don't get why they call SWD "two-pin serial wire debug"...

But is flash programming with Seger/PE/Cyclone/etc possible if SWD are no used for other purpose?

regards,

Ben

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ben,

it *is* possible to debug the device with SWD only. All what I say that without the reset line you might be able to halt the processor through the debug interface to stop it in order to talk to it.

Erich

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ben,

to add this this, you might fine Bricking and Recovering FRDM-KL25Z Boards: Reset, SWD Clock and Low Power | MCU on Eclipse  useful in that context. That's why in my board designs I always make the reset pin available to the debug interface.

Erich

0 Kudos