Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

kv3x vs k10_100/120

Jump to solution
alexeyusoltsev
Contributor IV

Hi!

I am planing to build sensorless solution for bldc control and would like to know are there any difference between kv3x and k10_1x0?

I have a quick look at the datasheet and dound that there is a difference in the max speed  of ADC in 16 bit mode. The other stuf seems to me very alike.

By now i have some k10 chips on my hand and am planing to build a proto board. Is it worth to change to kv3? What are the base difference between this two famalies?

With regards, Alexey.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
alexeyusoltsev
Contributor IV

Have played around with solution advisor and scanned dozen of datasheets.

The conclusion is:

-This 2 types of MCU are very competitive. K10 series focusis on serial interfaces so it has more extencieve comunication peripheral. Meanwhile kv3 has not got usb for example. It causes that with same ADC,FTM and DMA ch. numbers kv3s are cheapper 1.2-1.5 times

-k10,k20,k60 which has 4ADC's also has a lot of other stuff like memory controller ulpi...that make them like3x time more expencieve.

-kv4 has faster ADCs and dedicated ePWM module

-kv5:heart: 4 fast speed ADC and 1 precesion. WOW! Each of these got 2 sample-and-hold curcits!!!:smileywink:+ePWM and a lot of CPU power. I hope it will have sweety price. I would definitely buy it for small batch projects.

I wish kv3 to have these ADCs....

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
alexeyusoltsev
Contributor IV

Have played around with solution advisor and scanned dozen of datasheets.

The conclusion is:

-This 2 types of MCU are very competitive. K10 series focusis on serial interfaces so it has more extencieve comunication peripheral. Meanwhile kv3 has not got usb for example. It causes that with same ADC,FTM and DMA ch. numbers kv3s are cheapper 1.2-1.5 times

-k10,k20,k60 which has 4ADC's also has a lot of other stuff like memory controller ulpi...that make them like3x time more expencieve.

-kv4 has faster ADCs and dedicated ePWM module

-kv5:heart: 4 fast speed ADC and 1 precesion. WOW! Each of these got 2 sample-and-hold curcits!!!:smileywink:+ePWM and a lot of CPU power. I hope it will have sweety price. I would definitely buy it for small batch projects.

I wish kv3 to have these ADCs....

0 Kudos
Paul_Tian
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, Alexey

My suggestion for you is using KV3x series.

KV3x series is special for motor control solution. There is an application note for your reference.

http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/app_note/AN4376.pdf

Best Regards

Paul

alexeyusoltsev
Contributor IV

Hi, Paul

Thank a lot for respond and link to app_note!

May be i was not so definitive describing my case. I would like to build sensorless motor controll solution based on vector control. Main parameter will be torque value. So it is definitely not kv0(need DSP for filtering). So need to choose from m4 which have DSP.

As i know there is a free library from Freescale for Clark-Park transorm and other matrix and filtering things. Here is a link-- Embedded Software Motor Control Libraries|Freescale . There is no k10 devices in the list but i think it is not an issue since they have the same cortex-m4f core as kv3 in the list.

Also they both have 2 independent ADC unit. I'd preffer to have 4( 3 for hlaf-brifges and 1 for bus voltage control) but cores that have it have 4x prices(at least in small amounts).

Other caracteristics looks very simmilar.

So it is the main question: are there any significant differencies?

And if you have info:

-Here Freescale Kinetis family and the ARM Cortex-M7 processor (ARM TechCon 2014) - YouTube it was mentioned that will be m7 in KV series. Are there any info when samples will be available?

-Why does kv4 MCUs have limit of its ADC 12bits?

It's very interesting to hear an oppinion from freescale team!  Thank you once again :smileyhappy:

With regards, Alexey.

0 Kudos