cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

having trouble with TWR-K60N512 demo

mzimmers
Contributor I

Hi -

I am trying to get the demo for the aforementioned board working as described in TWRK60N12QSDLAB.pdf. I followed the directions in section 2 as faithfully as I could, but step 6 says to connect a USB cable to the TWR-SER board (I'm using the tower configuration). Doing this produces no sign of life on the K60 board, so I plugged it into the K60 board instead. Also, I don't have a spare Ethernet connector on my computer, so I plugged it into my hub (this wouldn't seem to matter, at least not yet).

I updated the OSJTAG per the instructions in section 3.

I connected the board back to the PC, which according to the document should begin the demo, but nothing happens. I also tried running the board in standalone mode (without the tower), and the results were the same.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Thank you for any assistance.

0 Kudos
10 Replies

nasreenshaikh
Contributor III

Hi Michael,

When you connect the USB to the TWR SER module both the TWR SER and TWR demo board as well as the LEDS on TOWER Functional and dummy elevators should power ON. If not then you are not connecting the tower module correctly.

Exchange the positions of Functional and dummy elevators and then connect USB to TWR SER and see what happens.

0 Kudos

hectorsanchez
Contributor IV

Did you installed the P&E Micro Kinetis Tower Toolkit?
This file installs the OSJTAG and the USB-to-Serial Drivers.

You can find this file in the Flash application that comes with the CD here:

Untitled.png

Also try to run the K60 Board without the TWR and the Serial Module.

0 Kudos

mzimmers
Contributor I

Hi, Hector -

The DVD that came with my board is unreadable (something about a CRC error).

I thought I downloaded everything I needed from Freescale's site. I'm fairly sure that I have all the necessary P&E software, as I was able to run their updater on the board.

And yes, I tried it without the TWR and serial board; same result.

Is there something else I should download from Freescale?

Thank you for the help.

0 Kudos

hectorsanchez
Contributor IV

If you installed the drivers without rebooting your PC i suggest to do that. Sometimes PCs block the USB port when they don't recognize the device you are connecting.

0 Kudos

hectorsanchez
Contributor IV

I'm using the same tower but i had no problems running the demo.

Check if the jumpers are configured like this(Follow the Bold config):

Untitled.png

0 Kudos

mzimmers
Contributor I

Hi, Hector -

What document did you get that table from? I'm using the TWR-K60N512 Quick Start Demo, Lab Guide for MQX 3.7, revision 6. Anyway, my jumpers weren't all set like that; there appears to be some disagreement between your document and mine. But, I changed them to the settings you reference, and there's no change in behavior.

The P&E firmware updater correctly identifies and updates the board, but...I'm not sure I have all the needed desktop software (since my install DVD didn't work).

Oh, and yes, I rebooted my PC...no change.

0 Kudos

hectorsanchez
Contributor IV

I got that document from my K60N512 DVD.

So the Power and Status button on the board are off when you connect them to the PC? or the demo is just not running?

0 Kudos

mzimmers
Contributor I

power and status LEDs are green. But the demo doesn't run -- at least the touch pads don't turn the other LEDs on and off.

0 Kudos

hectorsanchez
Contributor IV

Probably the demo is not loaded in the flash memory on the board, try to run an example for the K60N512 to check if the board is running correctly

You can find examples here: http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=TWR-K60N512&fpsp=1&tab=Design_Tools_T...

Also, if you have CodeWarrior there are some good examples (GPIO recommended to see the LEDs + Buttons in action) in the folder Kinetis_examples

mzimmers
Contributor I

Well, the GPIO demo works, so I guess that rules out a lot of possibilities: the board must be OK, and the jumpers must be (reasonably) correct. Maybe I should give up on the demo and start trying to program the board myself?

0 Kudos