What kind of audio files can I play with KwikStik?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What kind of audio files can I play with KwikStik?

michele_novalia
Contributor III

::: Warning: this maybe a silly question :::

Dear all,

what kind of audio files can I play with the KwikStik module?

I am playing with the demo example code (understanding a little really as it's all new for me).

But to me it looks like the recorder application sotres "somehow" the audio input in some "form" in memory and then it plays it.... using _PIT0_Enable() ??? (Is that correct?)

Is it possible to play audio files?

in which way should I encode them?

I didn't find any guide/documentation about this... but I am sure it must exist somewhere.

Can someone kindly provide any link?

Thanks for your help,

Mik

0 Kudos
14 Replies

michele_novalia
Contributor III

...and does anyone else know a similar way of achieving this with MQX please?

0 Kudos

gustavod
Contributor III

Hi Mik,

We have a demo that is able to play wav files (8, 11 e 22khz) from SD card.

http://brtos.googlecode.com/files/BRTOS%201.6x%20K40%20-%20Terminal%20audio%20player.rar

We hope that you enjoy it.

Best regards,

Gustavo

0 Kudos

michele_novalia
Contributor III

Hi Gustavo,

the problem with your example is that it doesn't uses MQX but BRTOS.

Then before trying to engage myself with BRTOS I would like to know what kind of license it has, has from the web site it is not clear to me if I can distribute code written for BRTOS in a real product (if I ever manage to go there).

Can you provide more infor about it please?

Mik

0 Kudos

gustavod
Contributor III

Hi Mik,

The BRTOS license is completely free, based on the MIT license:

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php

This information is in the section "Project Information" of the BRTOS website. Therefore, you can distribute code written for BRTOS in a real product. Even, you can modify and close the BRTOS code and distribute it in a product.

But, if you would like to use MQX, you can get our code and replace the BRTOS functions for the MQX functions (semaphores, mailboxs, etc).

Best regards,

Gustavo

0 Kudos

michele_novalia
Contributor III

Hi Gustavo,

I was just about to come back to you when noticed your message:

I just spent a couple of hours with your example code and you are right: your code is not heavily dependent from BRTOS, so it helps me a lot to understand how to do it.

It is a good example, thanks for this!

Glad to know about the BRTOS license too: I will consider this if planning to move towards a product.

Finally, I read somewhere that the Kwikstik K40 had a broken by design SD card module, but you seem to be using that.

Do you have a workaround for the SD Card reader or it was just an obsolate information and it is working ok?

Thanks for your help,

Mik

0 Kudos

gustavod
Contributor III

Mik,

You are right, there is a problem with the kwikstik SD card connections. In the TWR-K60N512-kit i was able to use the SDHC module, reaching more than 1MB/s. However, the SDHC connections in kwikstik are wrong. We did a little workaround implementing a software SPI in order to access the SD card. The only problem is the low performance (120KB/s).

Best regards,

Gustavo

0 Kudos

LuisCasado
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

SD card connection error in Kwikstik has beed fixed in Rev5 of the board. Now we are delivering that version. Demo project has been improved too.

Best Regards,

0 Kudos

michele_novalia
Contributor III

Hi Luis,

today on a live chat with FS I was told that the SD card problem has been fixed since version 4.

(I have 1-10-18_Ver4).

On the other hand I can't succeed making this call working:

com_handle = fopen (BSP_SDCARD_ESDHC_CHANNEL, NULL);

Can you please confirm if version 4 is broken or not?

If it is, is there any fix one could adopt?

Mik

0 Kudos

LuisCasado
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Mik,

Have a look to the HW errata:

http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/errata/KWIKSTIKK40HWER.pdf?fpsp=1&WT_TYPE=Errata&WT_VENDO...

Rev4:

KWIKSTIK_04: SD Card signals connected to incorrect pins

Description

The SD card connector's data pins (DATA0-DATA3) are connected to SDHC0_D4-SDHC0_D7 which are unused in 4 bit mode.

Workaround

No practical workaround is available.

Status

This issue will be fixed starting in version 5.

Regarding SD for Kwikstik and MQX, when MQX3.7 patch was launched Rev5 was not ready, BSP doesn't include support for SD, but can work fine.  The mux configuration can be copied from TWR-K40 BSP to enable SD in Kwikstik.

Best Regards,

0 Kudos

Dekiru
Contributor IV

Hi,

The kwikstik patch on Freescale website had been updated to support Kwikstik rev 5 - Support both the 2 hardware fixes RTC and SDHC.

Remember to change the macro in user config to not support REV5 in case you want to use that patch with older hardware revision.

Regards

0 Kudos

michele_novalia
Contributor III

Dekiru,

it's a brilliant news... but which patch is it?

The only one I see available in here:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=KWIKSTIK-K40&fpsp=1&tab=Design_Tools_...

is the MQX 3.7.0, rev 1, modified 8/12/2011.

In the release notes it says:

5.3 KwikStik – Rev 3 SD Card module
The SD card connector's data pins (DATA0~DATA3) are connected to SDHC0_D4~SDHC0_D7 while that pins are unused in 4 bits mode. So we cannot use SDHC support

Are you referring to a different patch that I am not aware of?

Please advise.

Thanks,

Mik

0 Kudos

Dekiru
Contributor IV

Hi Mik,

The link in your post is what I meant.

As I understand, the release note means the patch support SDHC of rev 5 board, but that is not possible for rev 3. You can see a warning message about that when compile bsp project...

Regards

0 Kudos

michele_novalia
Contributor III

Hi Dekiru,

I have still few problems trying to understand your suggestion:

> "Remember to change the macro in user config to not support REV5 in case you want to use that patch with older hardware revision."

I don't have such a macro in my user_config.h or anything similar.

There is the macro:

#define BSPCFG_ENABLE_ESDHC      0

which I presume must be enabled, right?

Still it would give an error on init_bsp.c line 220:

#if BSPCFG_ENABLE_ESDHC
#error This modul unsupported with Kiwkstik Board.Please disable BSPCFG_ENABLE_ESDHC to 0 in user_config.h
#endif

I can try to comment it.

On bsp_rev.h there is this macro:

#define BSP_REVISION   01

is it this one that I have to overwrite with revision 04? (I have kwikstik rev 4).

I feel _a bit_ lost :smileyhappy:

thanks for your suggestions,

Mik

0 Kudos

Dekiru
Contributor IV

Oh sorry Mik,

I have mistake. The patch I refered to hasn't been on Freescale website yet.

You may have to wait for it...

BTW, the new patch is not valuable if you don't have Rev 5 board. If you have new rev 5 already, I think you can ask Freescale support to give you their new package.

Regards

0 Kudos