cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use K64 with ESP8266 wifi module

mignacio
Contributor III
Hi,
I have started to architect and design an Ethernet controller board and the current and only selection from NXP is K64.
I plan on connecting a WiFi module to it such as Espressif's ESP8266.
1) For prototyping and evaluation I'll be using FRDM-K64.  Can I plug the ESP to the connecter that is for nRF24L01+ Nordic 2.4GHz Radio with just some adjustments &/or alignment to pinouts in order communicate via SPI?
2) I haven't thoroughly read ESP8266 datasheet but does it come with RF antenna built in?
Please advise.
Thanks for the help.
MI
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

nxf56274
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

I think you can, but this may has many other design problems to solve. 

Have a great day,
TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 days after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos

mignacio
Contributor III

Thanks, Da Li.   Yes, I will use that connector.

I have new questions I hope you or others can answer.

I need to keep 2 ethernet segments separate from each other for security reasons.

I'm still re-learning the principles of Ethernet and  its Link and Physical layers (in OSI standard communication).

E.g. MAC MII, MDIO, MDC, PHY, magnetics, RJ45 and such

On K64 datasheet/reference manual, I only see 1 set of MDC and MDIO lines to interface between its MAC and the external PHY controller as implemented on FRDM-K64, the Micrel KSZ8081RNACA PHY controller.

I noticed K64 has many ENET1_1588_RX/TXn...

Question:  Can I use 1 K64 to be a "SWITCH" that can handle 2 Ethernet node devices of sort?

Thanks for the help.

MI

0 Kudos

mignacio
Contributor III

Hi Da Li,

You brought up a good point.  Thanks.

The nRF24L01 module's 8-pin connector on the FRDM-K64 uses SPI.  

Now that I have just looked into more details of the ESP8266 module's pinouts, it needs UART TX and RX.

So you are correct, I can't use that connector assigned for nRF24L01 add-on.

Then I have use the available pins on the edge external headers.

My problem is I am thinking of using those header pins for Nimbelink Skywire embed cellular shield which would pretty much occupy and use up all the header pinouts just for mounting.  (NXP Kinetis Mbed Cellular Shield | NimbeLink )

Now that I just looked at the piggyback configuration image on the website, it looks like the shield provides the header extension pinouts on top of its board.

So basically, I think I can make all my necessary interface connections on the FRDM-K64 for:

1) ESP8266 WiFi module via UART RX and TX

2) Nimbelink Skywire shield (cellular modem)

3) Ethernet MAC and PHY (Micrel KXZ8081RNACA)

These are all in theory still; I'm still planning and gathering the devices I'll be needing for prototyping the 3 above mentioned operations .

Any comments? 

Can I do all using those parts and functions (besides the original Wifi ESP8266) with the FRDM-K64 and MCUXpresso?

Without looking yet on K64/FRDM-K64 SDK code examples available, does anyone know if these operations (WiFi, cellular simcard modem, ethernet) are available?

Thanks.

MI

0 Kudos

nxf56274
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

J199 on the K64 has the UART. You can use it for esp8266.

Have a great day,
TIC

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 days after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos

nxf56274
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

1 If your esp8266 module uses uart, you can't.  If it uses spi, you can.

2 The esp8266 module has antenna in common. We can find the antenna easily from the appearance of the module.

Have a great day,
TIC

Note:

0 Kudos