The kinetis KL26 ADC peripheral described in the KL26P121M48SF4RM_rev3.2 ref manual doesn't say what setting of ADCx_CFG1[ADICLK] selects the half bus clock source

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The kinetis KL26 ADC peripheral described in the KL26P121M48SF4RM_rev3.2 ref manual doesn't say what setting of ADCx_CFG1[ADICLK] selects the half bus clock source

Jump to solution
nurichard
Contributor III

Hi,

I am trying to decipher the KL26 reference manual KL26P121M48SF4RM_rev3.2 on how to use a bus clock pre-divided by 2.  The figure 28-1 on pg 479 and the section 28.4.1 description text indicates that the bus clock can be pre-divided by 2 by selecting the appropriate CFG1[ADICLK] setting.  The reference manual CFG1 register description on page 486 shown below does not include this possibility.  I have been unable to find anywhere else in the reference manual where it gives the ADICLK setting for this half bus clock source.  Is it known if this clock source option is unavailable on the KL26 and the diagram/text is in error or is the register description in error (i.e. is ALTCLK2 actually the bus clock divided by 2)? 

Input Clock Select

Selects the input clock source to generate the internal clock, ADCK. Note that when the ADACK clock

source is selected, it is not required to be active prior to conversion start. When it is selected and it is not

active prior to a conversion start, when CFG2[ADACKEN]=0, the asynchronous clock is activated at the

start of a conversion and deactivated when conversions are terminated. In this case, there is an

associated clock startup delay each time the clock source is re-activated.

00 Bus clock

01 Alternate clock 2 (ALTCLK2)

10 Alternate clock (ALTCLK)

11 Asynchronous clock (ADACK)

Thank you for your assistance,

Richard

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
nurichard
Contributor III

Ping from technical support responded with

"""

Thank you very much for your focus on Freescale Kinetis product. I am glad to provide service for you.

After I've discussed with other AEs, I think your assumption is true, ALTCLK2 is  BUS clock/2.

"""

I am continuing to assume this is correct although Ping said he will notify the documentation team to clarify in the next release.

Note that without being able to pre-divide by 2 you cannot get a total divide by 16 (although I am not sure why you would want a <= 1.5Mhz ADC clock or even if the ADC can correctly operate with such a slow clock)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
nurichard
Contributor III

Ping from technical support responded with

"""

Thank you very much for your focus on Freescale Kinetis product. I am glad to provide service for you.

After I've discussed with other AEs, I think your assumption is true, ALTCLK2 is  BUS clock/2.

"""

I am continuing to assume this is correct although Ping said he will notify the documentation team to clarify in the next release.

Note that without being able to pre-divide by 2 you cannot get a total divide by 16 (although I am not sure why you would want a <= 1.5Mhz ADC clock or even if the ADC can correctly operate with such a slow clock)

0 Kudos
perlam_i_au
Senior Contributor I

If you want to use bus clock/2 in order to generate the internal ADC clock ADCK, you should select on the 28.3.2 ADC Configuration Register 1 (ADCx_CFG1) the next values:

ADICLK = 00, Bus clock as source for generate your ADCK

ADIV = 01, divide ratio is 2 and the clock rate is: input clock/2, in this case your input clock should be Bus clock

Have a nice day :P,
Perla

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------