cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reset held asserted at first power-up -- K20

Jump to solution
garyk_
Contributor I

I've designed a PCB that uses the MK20DX256VLH7.  Upon first power-up, the microcontroller appears dead.  No 16MHz XTAL oscillation, and the DX256's RESET pin is held asserted.  Supply voltage is steady at +3.3V.   AT this stage, I've not attached any other devices to the DX256, other than a USB connector.

What issues could be causing the part to be stalled like this?   I'm very perplexed at this point.

Many thanks, in advance!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Gary Kitten,

Actually, to a new chip without program, your phenomena is normal.

16MHZ external oscillator is not oscillating, it is because you didn't enable the OSC in the chip with program.

To a new chip, if you add 4.7K to 10k pullup resistor in the RESET_b pin, and connect a 100nf capacitor to ground, the reset pin should have  the oscillator wave, you can check it through the oscilloscope.

You can create a sample project, to check whether your chip can download program.

After the chip have programed, it will work normally.

Wish it helps you!

Have a great day,
Jingjing

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Gary Kitten,

Actually, to a new chip without program, your phenomena is normal.

16MHZ external oscillator is not oscillating, it is because you didn't enable the OSC in the chip with program.

To a new chip, if you add 4.7K to 10k pullup resistor in the RESET_b pin, and connect a 100nf capacitor to ground, the reset pin should have  the oscillator wave, you can check it through the oscilloscope.

You can create a sample project, to check whether your chip can download program.

After the chip have programed, it will work normally.

Wish it helps you!

Have a great day,
Jingjing

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos