cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programming an S9KEAZN32AMLC using the KEA128 development board

vladstroian
Contributor I

Hello everyone,

I am new to microcontrollers and I'm trying to program an S9KEAZN32AMLC MCU that I bought and soldered to a PCB. I've succeded in programming the KEA128 development board that has the same MCU on it using the S32 IDE.

My question is, can I use the development board to program the MCU after it's been soldered on the board, without using a dedicated programmer? Thank you everyone.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

vladstroian
Contributor I

Hi,

I'm using the FRDM board. What I would like to do is use the development board to program an S9KEAZN32AMLC MCU which is already soldered on a custom PCB. I do not own any sort of programmer. I would also avoid making any modifications to the development board. Can't I simply somehow use the development board pins to program the external MCU with the S32 IDE?

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Vlad Stroian,

Which FRDM board you are using? FRDM-KEA128 right?

If yes, you can use the FRDM-KEA128 to program your external S9KEAZN32AMLC board.

1. Change your FRDM-KEA128 on board debugger to JLINK firmware

Download the segger driver and install it:

https://www.segger.com/downloads/jlink/JLink_Windows.exe 

Power off the board, then press the reset button and hold on it, power on the board, you will find your boad is a device named as "BOOTLOADER",

then download :

https://www.segger.com/downloads/jlink/OpenSDA_V1 

Send OpenSDA_V1.bin to your "BOOTLOADER".

Power off the baord and power on it again.

Now you FRDM on board debugger is the JLINK.

2. Remove your FRDM-KEA128 on board R101:

pastedImage_3.png

3. connect your FRDM board J14 to your own board swd interface:

pastedImage_4.png

Now, you can use the JLINK commander to check your external board, whether it can find the ARM core, if yes, then you can debug the external MCU.

Wish it helps you!

Have a great day,
Kerry

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Vlad Stroian,

What's the KEA128 development board you are using? The NXP official TRK or the FRDM board?

Do you want to solder S9KEAZN32AMLC  to the NXP official board or the external board, then just use the nxp official board to debugger your external board?

You can change the NXP official board on board debugger to the JLINK, then no matter you solder your S9KEAZN32AMLC  to the external board or the NXP official board, it can works.

But please note the comment from segger side:

https://www.segger.com/products/debug-probes/j-link/models/other-j-links/opensda-sda-v2/ 

pastedImage_2.png

If you want to debugger the external board in the development phase, you need to disconnect the on board SWD_CLK pin connect to the on board MCU chip. Take TRK-KEA128 as an example, you need to remove R4, but if you just replace the NXP on board chip, you don't need to modify the board.

Wish it helps you!

Have a great day,
Kerry

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos