cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Program on TWR-KV58F220M corrupted during Windows 10 USB enumeration

davidlindstrom
Contributor I

Hi,
I'm experiencing a problem with a TWR-KV58F220M board and Windows 10.

I have used the board with two different computers - one with Windows Vista and one with Windows 10 Pro. The board works as I expect when I connect the board to the Vista PC via USB. I have used "blinky_KV58" and "bubble_level_tfm" pre-compiled example binaries from the "TWR-KV58F220M Quick Start Package" to test the board.

When I connect the board to the Windows 10 PC via USB I see the following behaviour:
1. The program on the KV58F220M starts running (e.g. the blinky_KV58 program starts flashing the LEDs).
2. After less than 1 second, the program on the KV58F220M stops and the green LED on the board is flashing.
3. The board is enumerated and shows up in Windows as an "MBED microcontroller USB Device". The green LED is on.
4. After 30-40 seconds there is a quick flash of the green LED on the board and the device disappears in Windows.
5. The board is quickly enumerated again and shows up in Windows as an "MBED microcontroller USB Device". The green LED is on. Now, there is a new file on the device file system called "fail.txt" containing the text "TIMEOUT".
6. Steps 4 and 5 are repeated.

If I disconnect and reconnect the board I get:

1. The green LED is flashing.

2. The board is enumerated and shows up in Windows as an "MBED microcontroller USB Device". The green LED is on.
3. After 30-40 seconds there is a quick flash of the green LED on the board and the device disappears in Windows.
4. The board is enumerated again and shows up in Windows as an "MBED microcontroller USB Device". The green LED is on. Now, there is a new file on the board USB device file system called "fail.txt" containing the text "TIMEOUT".
5. Steps 3 and 4 are repeated.
That is, the original program on the KV58F220M never starts.

If I, after having used the board on the Windows 10 PC, connect the board to the Vista PC, then the original KV58F220M doesn't start. I can then program the KV58F220M and start the program by pushing the reset button on the board or by disconnecting and reconnecting the board to the PC.

I have repeated this Windows Vista - Windows 10 cycle multiple times with the result that the KV58F220M program stops working after being connected to the Windows 10 PC.

In order to test whether the problem was caused by the computer or Windows 10 I programmed the KV58F220M with "blinky_KV58" on the Vista PC, then I booted the "Windows 10 PC" with Linux and connected the board via USB. The "blinky_KV58" started running on the KV58F220M and kept on running. I could disconnect and reconnect the board and the "blinky_KV58" program would start running (as it should).

I have found this text - https://mcuoneclipse.com/2016/08/01/bricking_and_recovering_opensda_boards_in_windows_8_and_10/ - about an issue that I thought might be related. I followed the instructions to enable the "Do not allow locations on removable drives to be added to libraries" setting in Windows 10 but the problem remains.

My guess is that the USB enumeration process in Windows 10 causes the K20 OpenSDA application on the TWR-KV58F220M board to program the KV58F220M with junk.

I have a FRDM-K64F board which does not show this problem when connected to the Windows 10 PC.

I would appreciate some help answering the following questions:
- Is my problem caused by my specific configuration (my board + my PC), or is there a general problem with TWR-KV58F220M boards and Windows 10?
- Is there a solution or workaround for this problem?

From "mbed.htm" on the TWR-KV58F220M board file system:
Version: 0203 Build: Jul 30 2015 13:45:39 Git Commit SHA: c541bf8976c443d8d8b2fd1262f4f343672d14da Git local mods:Yes

Best regards,
David Lindstrom

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

andreacanepa
Contributor IV

I have the same problems.

0 Kudos

Hui_Ma
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi

Have you tried to updated TWR-KV58F220M board OpenSDA firmware to Segger J-Link?

The OpenSDA revision is V2.1. Customer could check here to download related J-Link firmware.

Wish it helps.

Have a great day,
Ma Hui
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

davidlindstrom
Contributor I

Hi,

I haven't tried updating the board with the Segger OpenSDA firmware. On the Segger web page you are referring to, the TWR-KV58F220M is missing in the list of compatible boards. Therefore, I sent an e-mail to Segger to ask about the status for the compatibility of TWR-KV58F220M. So far I have not received a reply from Segger.

A colleague of mine needed the board, so I currently don't have access to it. If I ever do try updating the board with the Segger OpenSDA firmware I'll get back with the result. However, my colleague have told me he could use that board with a Windows 10 PC which suggests that somehow my problem is related to my set up.

Best regards,

David

0 Kudos

Hui_Ma
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi

I have tried to use TWR-KV58F220M board Rev.A with attached Segger J-Link firmware file and everything works as expected.

Wish it helps.

Have a great day,
Ma Hui
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos