cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Production programming of Kinetis K40X256VMD100

Jump to solution
murdo
Contributor I

Has anyone out there moved into production with the K40X256VMD100 part or with a part like it? I am having trouble finding a programming house that can flash this part in volume. None that I have contacted are tooled for this part and they are asking for ~$7k to get tooled. 

Freescale can pre-program the parts for a MOQ of 10k which does not work for me. Any thoughts on a reasonable flashing tool for production volumes?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JWW
Contributor V

murdo,

Besides the normal JTAG emulator method for small batch builds, we do support a technology that we call Ezport, that makes the kinetis products look like a standard SPI flash.  The idea here is that anybody with SPI flash programming capability and a socket'd board etc can do mass programming.  Or even in a bed of nails method after attach.

We've had requests for an appnote on this technology, so I'm attempting to get one resourced and posted, but in theory you can take any other micro say a kinetis board you already have combined with a some software and build a flash programmer.

-JWW

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JWW
Contributor V

murdo,

Besides the normal JTAG emulator method for small batch builds, we do support a technology that we call Ezport, that makes the kinetis products look like a standard SPI flash.  The idea here is that anybody with SPI flash programming capability and a socket'd board etc can do mass programming.  Or even in a bed of nails method after attach.

We've had requests for an appnote on this technology, so I'm attempting to get one resourced and posted, but in theory you can take any other micro say a kinetis board you already have combined with a some software and build a flash programmer.

-JWW

0 Kudos
joryman
Contributor I

I'm looking for a commercially available device to program a Kinetis K20 device via Ezport.  I haven't found anything.  What's the point of supporting Ezport if there are no tools that use it?

0 Kudos
Jim_Carlson
Senior Contributor II

Check out the DediProg SF100.  They claim that Kinetis support will be available by the end of August.

Check them out at http://www.dediprog.com/SPI-flash-in-circuit-programming/SF100

Regards,

Jim

0 Kudos
cesario
Contributor I

The freescale's OSBDM and USBDM support Kinetis now?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
murdo
Contributor I

Thanks for the information. I don't know much about Ezport so an App Note will be very helpful.

Arrow just informed me that they plan on investing in the tooling to program these parts for customers and will be ready in July.

0 Kudos
RobertSignum
Contributor I

Hi,

What volume are you thinking off?

We are not production house, but we provide batch mode JTAG based programming for Kinetis parts.

It takes ~5s to program 250K (with erase and verification).

See below for log form running it (it is programming 250K test pattern at address 0x800).

Regards,

Robert

C:\Signum\Flashe>SigFlashCmd -cpu Cortex-M4 -flash Kinetis -program 25
0k@2k -verify -erase -time -emu jtagspeed=30000
SigFlashCmd Version 1.19 (C) Signum Systems Corp. 2006-2011
SigFlashCmd -cpu Cortex-M4 -flash Kinetis -program 250k@2k -verify -erase -time
-emu jtagspeed=30000
Starting ...
OK - Connected to the emulator ...
OK - Connected to the CPU ...
Erasing sectors 0x00000800 .. 0x0003EFFF (250KB) ...
  TIME: Erase        1.42 sec
Programming 0x00000800 .. 0x0003EFFF (250KB) ...
  TIME: Program      2.27 sec (perf = 110.30 KB/sec)
Verifying 0x00000800 .. 0x0003EFFF (250KB) ...
  TIME: Verify       1.07 sec (perf = 234.11 KB/sec)
OK - Flash programming finished ...
OK - Exiting ...
OK - Done

C:\Signum\Flasher>

0 Kudos
murdo
Contributor I

Thanks for the reply.

Production batches will be 200+/pieces per month. Can you post a link to your recommendation?

0 Kudos
RobertSignum
Contributor I

Hi,

200+/month is not  a lot, so can be easily handled via JTAG programmer.

You need the following:

1. JTAGjet emulator with appropriate probe (it depends what kind of JTAG connector you have).

2. Flasher-ARM SW

See here:

http://www.signum.com/images/pdf/flasher_um.pdf

for Flasher manual. It does not mention Kinetis (it is a little older), but it is supported.

Here is current list of supported flashes in Freescale CPUs:

http://www.signum.com/freescale.htm

Regards,

Robert

0 Kudos