Preferred Debug method for Kinetis K40

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preferred Debug method for Kinetis K40

MikeRC
Contributor III
I'm using the K40X256 Tower setup along with the OSJTAG for Debugging in CodeWarrior v10.1.  It does not work very well and is slow.  Is anyone else having success with other Debug setups for either the K40 or K60?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

ilijak
Contributor II

We are not using CW but GCC. For flashing we do not submit ELF directly to PEEDI (although we could) but we are producing raw bin (with objcopy) which is being flashed by PEEDI. Of course we submit ELF to GDB for symbolic and debugging information. Debugging is straight-forward as PEEDI acts as GDB server.

0 Kudos

MikeRC
Contributor III
So how does that work?  Do you compile in CodeWarrior and then take the ELF file and Flash/Debug it through GDB with the PEEDI?
0 Kudos

MikeRC
Contributor III
Has anyone tried to use uLink Pro from Keil on either the K40 or K60?  It looks really impressive with the runtime tracing capabilities.
0 Kudos

robertboys
Contributor IV

I have used this quite a bit - it works quite well:  here is a lab that describes the K60:  www.keil.com/appnotes/docs/apnt_249.asp

There are examples of what you can obtain with the ETM trace and ULINKpro.  Plus examples of what Serial Wire Trace will give you.

This lab is for MDK 4 and to get it to work with MDK 5 you will have to download and add the MDK v4 Legacy Support.

Bob

ARM

0 Kudos

ilijak
Contributor II
We are using Ronetix PEEDI http://www.ronetix.at/peedi.html with GDB. PEEDI also supports flashing.
0 Kudos

MikeRC
Contributor III
I am only aware of two Compiler/Debugger setups.  You can use Codewarrior to compile and use either the OSJTAG, JTAG with a P&E Multilink Universal, or JTAG with a Segger J-Link to Debug. The other Compiler I am aware of is IAR, but I'm not sure what they support for debugging.  There may be other Compiler/Debugger setups, but I'm not aware of them currently.  It looks to me like the Kinetis processors themselves only support JTAG and no longer support BDM.
0 Kudos

rost0031
Contributor I
Just got the kit (went to the seminar).  I will be starting to play with it pretty soon.  Is CodeWarrior the only way to debug it using the onboard JTAG?
0 Kudos